Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default new 2007 compatibliity - can't save to 2003 version

i just had office 2007 installed on my computer at work. we have a shared
drive here with tons of files that i need to review and manipulate. however,
not many people have 2007 yet, so most of the files created on our shared
drive are in excel 2003. (or 97-2003, whatever it is...) when i try to go
and change a workbook that has been originally created in the 2003 version
and try to save the changes, it tells me access denied. and it isn't the
file access because it works on other computers that still have the 2003
version. can someone please help with this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sounds like a nework permission issue to me! Suggest you take it up with
your network administrator.

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"shara" wrote:

i just had office 2007 installed on my computer at work. we have a shared
drive here with tons of files that i need to review and manipulate. however,
not many people have 2007 yet, so most of the files created on our shared
drive are in excel 2003. (or 97-2003, whatever it is...) when i try to go
and change a workbook that has been originally created in the 2003 version
and try to save the changes, it tells me access denied. and it isn't the
file access because it works on other computers that still have the 2003
version. can someone please help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

it is not a network issue.... they always worked fine before, and those who
have not upgraded can still manipulate the documents with no problems. it is
just those of us who have upgraded to the 2007 version. any other
suggestions?

"shara" wrote:

i just had office 2007 installed on my computer at work. we have a shared
drive here with tons of files that i need to review and manipulate. however,
not many people have 2007 yet, so most of the files created on our shared
drive are in excel 2003. (or 97-2003, whatever it is...) when i try to go
and change a workbook that has been originally created in the 2003 version
and try to save the changes, it tells me access denied. and it isn't the
file access because it works on other computers that still have the 2003
version. can someone please help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Could also be that your Excel has been set to save as xlsx, which is the 2007
file format. Your network may not allow this.
Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Excel Options.
In the Save category, under Save Workbooks, in the Save files in this format
list, make sure that you have set up Excel to save in 97-2003 format.

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"shara" wrote:

i just had office 2007 installed on my computer at work. we have a shared
drive here with tons of files that i need to review and manipulate. however,
not many people have 2007 yet, so most of the files created on our shared
drive are in excel 2003. (or 97-2003, whatever it is...) when i try to go
and change a workbook that has been originally created in the 2003 version
and try to save the changes, it tells me access denied. and it isn't the
file access because it works on other computers that still have the 2003
version. can someone please help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

thanks for the help. tried that. it still doesn't work. when it is
attempting to save like that, it says [compatibility] something in those
brackets.... i think compatibility mode maybe? any other suggestions???

"shara" wrote:

i just had office 2007 installed on my computer at work. we have a shared
drive here with tons of files that i need to review and manipulate. however,
not many people have 2007 yet, so most of the files created on our shared
drive are in excel 2003. (or 97-2003, whatever it is...) when i try to go
and change a workbook that has been originally created in the 2003 version
and try to save the changes, it tells me access denied. and it isn't the
file access because it works on other computers that still have the 2003
version. can someone please help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Try that one again, and let me know exactly what the message is! Might be
that it is the standard warning that things done in 2007 is not always
compatible with 97-2003, in which case you just ignore the wordning, unless
you are doing some really serious development work!

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail