Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How can I set up a student data base using word 2003?

I am a music teacher and would like to set up a data base for my students
including information regarding - exams, competitions and results. Names,
ages, birthday reminders, parents details and goods and services delivered. I
use Microsoft Office 2003. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Decide what you want to keep track of and put each piece of information into
separate cells. And one row per entry--don't put the data for one person on
multiple rows.

Try to keep your data on a single worksheet. If you thought that you'd want
multiple worksheets (one for each class), think about adding another indicator
column to show the Class ID.

First names in one cell, last names in another.

Addresses are multiple columns:
Street address 1
street address 2
City
state
zip (zip+4)

Use real dates for birthdays if you can--include the month, day and year.

And save often while you're building the workbook. You could even File|SaveAs
using a different name for the workbook. Then when (not if!) you screw it up,
you can go back to the previously saved workbook.

You'll be able to apply data|filter|autofilter to your data base and see/hide
just the stuff you want visible/hidden.

And even use MSWord to create letters/envelopes using MailMerge.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

gsuskid23 wrote:

I am a music teacher and would like to set up a data base for my students
including information regarding - exams, competitions and results. Names,
ages, birthday reminders, parents details and goods and services
delivered. I
use Microsoft Office 2003. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

If using MS Office why not try the following:

Classroom Management Database:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/te...33&av=Z AC000

All you need is MS Access 2003.

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The OP may want to look at all the resources that MS offers teachers/educators:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/
and
http://www.microsoft.com/education/t...s/default.aspx