Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default copying formulas

I copied the following formula to another cell:
=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B6,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B18,BoardLength,0))

In the cell I copied the formula to I changed the first Match to cell B7,
and the second Match to cell B8. The copied formula with changes results in
#NA. B7 and B8 cells are formatted like the cells in the copied formula.

=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B7,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B8,BoardLength,0)) What's going on? Help is appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Are the values you're referring to in B7 and B8 found in the array LumberSize
and BoardLength respectively. Your formula is looking for an exact match, so
if it doesn't find one, it'll kick back a #NA error.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Gulfman100" wrote:

I copied the following formula to another cell:
=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B6,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B18,BoardLength,0))

In the cell I copied the formula to I changed the first Match to cell B7,
and the second Match to cell B8. The copied formula with changes results in
#NA. B7 and B8 cells are formatted like the cells in the copied formula.

=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B7,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B8,BoardLength,0)) What's going on? Help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jon Jon is offline

I'm not sure what your goal is, but I wonder if you are familiar with
VLOOKUP? Look it up in Excel help and let me know if it seems like I'm
barking up the right tree. Then I can answer more questions. I've never used
INDEX and MATCH together the way you're presenting them.

"Gulfman100" wrote:

I copied the following formula to another cell:
=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B6,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B18,BoardLength,0))

In the cell I copied the formula to I changed the first Match to cell B7,
and the second Match to cell B8. The copied formula with changes results in
#NA. B7 and B8 cells are formatted like the cells in the copied formula.

=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B7,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B8,BoardLength,0)) What's going on? Help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

:Jon,

I am looking for an exact match in an array named LumberDB, Rows named:
LumberSize (2x6, 2x8. 2x10 and 2x12), Columns named: BoardLength (8,10,12,14,
etc.). I found the answer to my problem by accident while trying everything I
could think of to try. The cell B6 was formatted as TEXT, when I changed it
to NUMBER format the formula worked.

I am writing a excel program to estimate the cost to build a house. This
particular formula searches my data base to return the price of a certain
size piece of lumber a certain length. ie. A 2x8 16' long etc.

Thanks for your help.

"Gulfman100" wrote:

I copied the following formula to another cell:
=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B6,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B18,BoardLength,0))

In the cell I copied the formula to I changed the first Match to cell B7,
and the second Match to cell B8. The copied formula with changes results in
#NA. B7 and B8 cells are formatted like the cells in the copied formula.

=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B7,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B8,BoardLength,0)) What's going on? Help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

:Jon,

I am looking for an exact match in an array named LumberDB, Rows named:
LumberSize (2x6, 2x8. 2x10 and 2x12), Columns named: BoardLength (8,10,12,14,
etc.). I found the answer to my problem by accident while trying everything I
could think of to try. The cell B6 was formatted as TEXT, when I changed it
to NUMBER format the formula worked.

I am writing a excel program to estimate the cost to build a house. This
particular formula searches my data base to return the price of a certain
size piece of lumber a certain length. ie. A 2x8 16' long etc.

Thanks for your help.

Click to show or hide original message or reply text.

"Gulfman100" wrote:

I copied the following formula to another cell:
=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B6,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B18,BoardLength,0))

In the cell I copied the formula to I changed the first Match to cell B7,
and the second Match to cell B8. The copied formula with changes results in
#NA. B7 and B8 cells are formatted like the cells in the copied formula.

=INDEX(LumberDB,MATCH('Lumber Gabel Roof'!B7,LumberSize,0),MATCH('Lumber
Gabel Roof'!B8,BoardLength,0)) What's going on? Help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I am looking for an exact match in an array named LumberDB, Rows named:
LumberSize (2x6, 2x8. 2x10 and 2x12), Columns named: BoardLength (8,10,12,14,
etc.). I found the answer to my problem by accident while trying everything I
could think of to try. The cell B6 was formatted as TEXT, when I changed it
to NUMBER format the formula worked.

I am writing a excel program to estimate the cost to build a house. This
particular formula searches my data base to return the price of a certain
size piece of lumber a certain length. ie. A 2x8 16' long etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for your help.