Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Drop Down Lists

I have created a drop down list. I would like to be able to type the first
letters of what I am looking for and have the drop down list jump to the
items that start with those letters.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If using a Data Validation List Dropdown, there is no Autocomplete function.

Debra Dalgleish shows how to use a Combobox in conjunction with the DV in
order to enable autocomplete.

An alternative using a couple more cells comes from Ashish Mather

Please take a look at question 44 of the following link -
http://ashishmathur.com/replies.aspx

Another method......................

When setting up the List make sure your List is sorted alphabetically then
add a single letter at top of each group of items like A, B, C etc.

Then type a letter, say H, in the dropdown..........don't hit ENTER but
click on the arrow.

You will be taken to top of "D" items.

Thanks to Howard Kittle for this.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:52:06 -0800, TaylorLeigh
wrote:

I have created a drop down list. I would like to be able to type the first
letters of what I am looking for and have the drop down list jump to the
items that start with those letters.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi TaylorLeigh,

Take Gord's advice every time over mine... he is a pro. I think he made a
typo... type in an "H" and it will take you to the top of the "D" list...it
should take you to the top of the "H" list, but I'm sure you figured that
out. <bg

Regards,
Howard

"TaylorLeigh" wrote in message
I have created a drop down list. I would like to be able to type the first
letters of what I am looking for and have the drop down list jump to the
items that start with those letters.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Here is another site with a different approach:

http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/autocomplete-validation.htm

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"TaylorLeigh" wrote:

I have created a drop down list. I would like to be able to type the first
letters of what I am looking for and have the drop down list jump to the
items that start with those letters.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

And to think I attributed that method to you with the typo included<g

Thanks for picking up Howard.

Gord