Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default color shading for text entries

hello all,

you will laugh at what i am trying to do, as it is pretty simple, but i do
not know how to do it. i am using a spreadsheet as a calendar, and i would
like to enter a character into a cell and then have that cell turn a
particular color. there are five different characters that i would like to
use...D, H, P, B, and J.

i would like the D character, when entered, to turn to cell and character
blue, the other four characters/cell colors just need to differentiate from
each other.

the cell range for this type of conversion is pretty large...from cell
ac1:ac220 thru iv1:iv220.

each row is a person's name....the columns have data and then calendar
dates...the automatic shading is a visual aid...and will allow me to do count
formulas to figure out where folks are at.

thanks for the help in advance!!!

patrick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Do you want to change the cell format if that cell contains a D or other four
letters?

If yes, then use Conditional Formatting...
Choose Cell Values is
Enter D and choose your formatting

Unless you are using Excel 2007 you can only specify a maximum of 3
conditions... You can do the other two with FORMAT CELL|SPECIAL option...

"shekpatrick" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

hello again,

more specifics on exactly what i am trying to do.

i have 300 rows (record entries) containing people's names. These folks
over the next 12 months are going to be going in a variety of locations.

I have a large amount of columns set up as dates.

I am going to limit the data entry into the date column/cell to the following:

DB, DN, DS, DO, DJ, HH, PCS, LV

As I am going to do a bunch of counting formulas for each day (so we can
figure out the number of folks in each location), so I need to make the text
entry into each cell.

What I do not know how to do (since conditional formating only allows 3
conditions)...is this:

In a cell, I enter "DB". This entry triggers the cell to fill with a
certain color shade, as well as change the entered text to the same color.

Here is the color scheme that I would like to use:

DB (gray 40%), DN (bright green), DS (sea green), DO (turqoise), DJ
(red), HH (yellow), PCS (red), LV (black).

appreciate any help that anyone can provide!!! thanks in advance :))