Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default To count the data using multiple criteria in multiple columns

Hi,

I have datas in cell range A1:C4, where A being name of the projects (one
project may occur in two or more places), B being the task number, C being
week for completion of the task. Now I have to count the number of cells with
given week of completion in a given project. This is to identify the number
of tasks in a particular week in a particular project.

How shall I do this. Please help me with ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4="project"),--(C1:C4=week_num))

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Rajesh" wrote in message

I have datas in cell range A1:C4, where A being name of the projects (one
project may occur in two or more places), B being the task number, C being
week for completion of the task. Now I have to count the number of cells
with
given week of completion in a given project. This is to identify the
number
of tasks in a particular week in a particular project.

How shall I do this. Please help me with ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks philips for your reply. But I am not getting the desired result when I
checked with an example. Whether sumproduct can be used to count the desired
data from the array?

"Rajesh" wrote in message

I have datas in cell range A1:C4, where A being name of the projects (one
project may occur in two or more places), B being the task number, C being
week for completion of the task. Now I have to count the number of cells
with
given week of completion in a given project. This is to identify the
number
of tasks in a particular week in a particular project.

How shall I do this. Please help me with ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To be more clear on my problem:

ProjectA Task1 Week1
ProjectB Task1 week2
ProjectA Task2 Week2
ProjectB Task2 Week1
ProjectA Task3 Week1

If these are my datas, then if my request is counting the number of datas
with "ProjectA" and "Week1", the result should be 2.

"Rajesh" wrote in message

I have datas in cell range A1:C4, where A being name of the projects (one
project may occur in two or more places), B being the task number, C being
week for completion of the task. Now I have to count the number of cells
with
given week of completion in a given project. This is to identify the
number
of tasks in a particular week in a particular project.

How shall I do this. Please help me with ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

As Bob said =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4="projecta"),--(C1:C4="week1"))

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers - MS Excel Newbie
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14