Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default a simple math formula

Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed in
the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi David

In C5 enter
=CONVERT(B5,"kg","lbm")
and copy down through C6:C77

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed in
the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Roger, first, thanks for the very fast reply. I think I need to better
understand the syntax (and don't yell at me because I'm really new to this).

The values in the B cells are simple numbers and I just want those values
individually multiplied by 2.2 and that result placed in the adjacent C
cells.

I don't understand the syntax and what you gave me didn't achieve the
desired results.

Would you be so kind and reread my post and expand a little on your answer.

I was expecting to see _something_ like the following placed in cell C1 ...
B5:B77*2.2 ... I'm know that syntax is incorrect but that was along the
line I thought I would see.

Thanks again! Dave Horne

"Roger Govier" <roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote in message
Hi David

In C5 enter
=CONVERT(B5,"kg","lbm")
and copy down through C6:C77

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I came up with =SUM(B5)*2.2 which works for converting B5 to C5. How do I
now have that apply to every B cell entry?

I'm a little further along.

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I came up with =SUM(B5)*2.2 which works for converting B5 to C5.

I almost posted too soon with the following, but I saw by dragging the black
box in the right corner (of C5), the simple math equation is now applied to
every B cell.

It's been a while but I at least solved this simple task.

Thanks, Dave Horne

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Dave,

You've led yourself astray here on a few counts.

1) No need to use =SUM(B5)*2.2, just =B5*2.2 will do fine

2) 2.2 is not the correct conversion factor, it should be 2.20462262

3) If you simply used Roger's original formula you wouldn't
need to bother with the correct conversion factor.

HTH
Martin

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Martin, first, thanks for taking the time to respond.

1. Thanks for mentioning the shortened form .... =B5*2.2. ( or
=B5*2.20462262 )

2. Thanks for the more accurate conversion number.

3. Your comment re the use of In C5 enter =CONVERT(B5,"kg","lbm"), I must
have not copied that formula correctly. Just now I went back and tried it
and of course it works.

Guys, thanks for bearing with me on this. Dave Horne

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Martin, one more question. After I was given the unit lbm (for pound),
where would I have found that infomation?

I really prefer looking up this stuff myself but couldn't find anything. I
see there are many formulas as my disposal but without knowing the correct
syntax or knowing what the abbreviations are, it makes this quite a
challenge.

kg for kilogram is obvious (though I didn't know I could actully use that in
a formula), lbm instead of lb (for pound) - I never would have stumbled onto
that. Can a list of these measurement units be found in Excel 2007?

Also, if you could recommend a guide, a book (or a link) to learn the
syntax, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again, Dave Horne

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Type "convert measurements" (you could just use "convert", but adding
measurements shortens the list) into Excel's search box (top, right corner
of Excel's window) and then hit the Enter Key.... select "convert
measurements" from the list that appears.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2)
placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Dave

Sorry, I have been off line for a while watching rugby.
Watched Wales v Australia live on the box, and then a recording of England
vs. New Zealand.
I can see that you have now resolved your problem - well done for your
perseverance.
I agree with the "lbm" for pounds weight, not at all intuitive and one that
I always forget.
I typed in "lb" myself first time, got a #NAME error, but when you click the
FX function button on the formula bar, it comes up showing the syntax, and
Help at that point gives the acceptable values.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Dave,

First, I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has pointed out that
CONVERT is an Analysis ToolPak function in 2003 or earlier so you need to
attach that Add-in - choose Tools, Add-ins, and check Analysis ToolPak.

Second the conversion factors can be found in 2007 or 2003, by starting to
type the function =CONVERT( and then clicking the fx button on the Formula
Bar and clicking the Help on this function hyperlink.

Here is the complete list in 2007 (note there are some additions in 2007
that will not work in 2003). Also, unlike most places in Excel, the units
ARE case sensitive.

Weight and mass From_unit or to_unit
Gram "g"
Slug "sg"
Pound mass (avoirdupois) "lbm"
U (atomic mass unit) "u"
Ounce mass (avoirdupois) "ozm"

Distance From_unit or to_unit
Meter "m"
Statute mile "mi"
Nautical mile "Nmi"
Inch "in"
Foot "ft"
Yard "yd"
Angstrom "ang"
Pica (1/72 in.) "Pica"

Time From_unit or to_unit
Year "yr"
Day "day"
Hour "hr"
Minute "mn"
Second "sec"

Pressure From_unit or to_unit
Pascal "Pa" (or "p")
Atmosphere "atm" (or "at")
mm of Mercury "mmHg"

Force From_unit or to_unit
Newton "N"
Dyne "dyn" (or "dy")
Pound force "lbf"

Energy From_unit or to_unit
Joule "J"
Erg "e"
Thermodynamic calorie "c"
IT calorie "cal"
Electron volt "eV" (or "ev")
Horsepower-hour "HPh" (or "hh")
Watt-hour "Wh" (or "wh")
Foot-pound "flb"
BTU "BTU" (or "btu")

Power From_unit or to_unit
Horsepower "HP" (or "h")
Watt "W" (or "w")

Magnetism From_unit or to_unit
Tesla "T"
Gauss "ga"

Temperature From_unit or to_unit
Degree Celsius "C" (or "cel")
Degree Fahrenheit "F" (or "fah")
Kelvin "K" (or "kel")

Liquid measure From_unit or to_unit
Teaspoon "tsp"
Tablespoon "tbs"
Fluid ounce "oz"
Cup "cup"
U.S. pint "pt" (or "us_pt")
U.K. pint "uk_pt"
Quart "qt"
Gallon "gal"
Liter "l" (or "lt")

The following abbreviated unit prefixes can be prepended to any metric
from_unit or to_unit.

Prefix Multiplier Abbreviation
exa 1E+18 "E"
peta 1E+15 "P"
tera 1E+12 "T"
giga 1E+09 "G"
mega 1E+06 "M"
kilo 1E+03 "k"
hecto 1E+02 "h"
dekao 1E+01 "e"
deci 1E-01 "d"
centi 1E-02 "c"
milli 1E-03 "m"
micro 1E-06 "u"
nano 1E-09 "n"
pico 1E-12 "p"
femto 1E-15 "f"
atto 1E-18 "a"

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

///If this helps, please click the Yes button///

I'm viewing this from a news reader and have clicked 'yes' in my mind.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I've already started a free online
tutorial from MS.

Thanks everyone! Dave Horne

"Shane Devenshire" wrote in