Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Horne Dave Horne is offline

Default a simple math formula

Martin, one more question. After I was given the unit lbm (for pound),
where would I have found that infomation?

I really prefer looking up this stuff myself but couldn't find anything. I
see there are many formulas as my disposal but without knowing the correct
syntax or knowing what the abbreviations are, it makes this quite a
challenge.

kg for kilogram is obvious (though I didn't know I could actully use that in
a formula), lbm instead of lb (for pound) - I never would have stumbled onto
that. Can a list of these measurement units be found in Excel 2007?

Also, if you could recommend a guide, a book (or a link) to learn the
syntax, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again, Dave Horne

"MartinW" wrote in message
Hi Dave,

You've led yourself astray here on a few counts.

1) No need to use =SUM(B5)*2.2, just =B5*2.2 will do fine

2) 2.2 is not the correct conversion factor, it should be 2.20462262

3) If you simply used Roger's original formula you wouldn't
need to bother with the correct conversion factor.

HTH
Martin

"Dave Horne" wrote in message

I came up with =SUM(B5)*2.2 which works for converting B5 to C5.

I almost posted too soon with the following, but I saw by dragging the
black box in the right corner (of C5), the simple math equation is now
applied to every B cell.

It's been a while but I at least solved this simple task.

Thanks, Dave Horne

"Roger Govier" <roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote in message
Hi David

In C5 enter
=CONVERT(B5,"kg","lbm")
and copy down through C6:C77

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question.

I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to
automatically convert to US pounds.

The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the
conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed
in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne