Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Six conditional formatting possible?

Is there any alternative way to create six or more conditional formatting and
how can I save my formats? User is on self study and would appreciate step by
step method on how to create if there's any. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

As an example, tinker with this sheet sub* which conditionally colors (both
fill colors and font colors) in cols A to T (20 cols) based on the numeric
values -- between 1-30, inclusive -- in col U (within U2:U100)
*from a Mike H posting

To install:
Copy the sub
Right-click on the sheet tab View Code
Paste the sub into the code window on the right
Press Alt + Q to get back to Excel
Test it out by inputting various numbers** with U2:U100
**between 1 - 30

'-------
Dim icolor As Integer
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("U2:U100")) Is Nothing Then
Select Case Target
Case 1 To 5
icolor = 6
fcolor = 1
Case 6 To 10
icolor = 12
fcolor = 1
Case 11 To 15
icolor = 7
fcolor = 1
Case 16 To 20
icolor = 53
fcolor = 1
Case 21 To 25
icolor = 15
fcolor = 1
Case 26 To 30
icolor = 42
fcolor = 1
Case Else
End Select
With Target
.Offset(0, -20).Resize(1, 20).Interior.ColorIndex = icolor
.Offset(0, -20).Resize(1, 20).Font.ColorIndex = fcolor
End With
'------

--
Max
Singapore
"ghinzrey" wrote:
Is there any alternative way to create six or more conditional formatting and
how can I save my formats? User is on self study and would appreciate step by
step method on how to create if there's any. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Can't be done in the spreadsheet in 2003, need to use VBA.

Can be done in 2007:

1. Highlight all the cells on the rows you want formatted
2. Choose Home, Conditional Formatting, Manage Rule, New Rule
3. Create the rule you need (you didn't give us any hints on this)
5. Click the Format button and choose a format, click OK once
6. Repeat as many times as necessary.
7. Click OK twice

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"ghinzrey" wrote:

Is there any alternative way to create six or more conditional formatting and
how can I save my formats? User is on self study and would appreciate step by
step method on how to create if there's any. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

As I posted in response to your 11/13/08 post...
....Note: There is an add-in that can supposedly handle up to 30 conditional
formats located at:
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html
But I find it buggy, and has a tendency to re-format the cells with numbers
back to general (and thus removing preceding 0s). You may wanna see if you
can get it to work better than I could.
** John C **
Please remember if your question is answered, to mark it answered :). It
helps everyone.