Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How Bad Can Excel 2007 be?

Using the sum function in a blank cell to subtract one cell from another in
a row Excel keeps telling me I am using a circular reference and will not
perform the calculation.
If I move over one cell and enter the same formula all works as it should.
Unbelievable: I think Excel is probably the cause of the stock market
meltdown because this dog can't hunt.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

There are quite a few people who don't like Excel 2007.
However, what you describe doesn't sound like any of of the known
complaints.
What exactly are your formulas (in which cells) and what are your input
values?
And, by the way, what are you trying to accomplish that makes you use
circular references?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"bmoag" wrote in message
Using the sum function in a blank cell to subtract one cell from another
in a row Excel keeps telling me I am using a circular reference and will
not perform the calculation.
If I move over one cell and enter the same formula all works as it should.
Unbelievable: I think Excel is probably the cause of the stock market
meltdown because this dog can't hunt.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Post the formula and the cell in which it is entered. A Circular
Reference is not necessarily a direct, one-step relationship. A
formula may reference another formula that references another formula,
and so on to quite a depth. The round trip from a formula back to
itself may be quite long and complex, and without careful examination,
a formula may appear not to be circular but in fact really is once you
plumb the depths.

I've never heard of XL2007 having problems with the identification of
circular references.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:11:34 -0800, "bmoag"
wrote:

Using the sum function in a blank cell to subtract one cell from another in
a row Excel keeps telling me I am using a circular reference and will not
perform the calculation.
If I move over one cell and enter the same formula all works as it should.
Unbelievable: I think Excel is probably the cause of the stock market
meltdown because this dog can't hunt.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Why would you use SUM to "subtract one cell from another" ?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP