Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default adding several number

What cells are you actually putting the numbers in?
i.e.: Say Jan is in A2, Feb is in A3, and Mar is in A4, and 100 is in B2,
200 is in B3, and 300 is in B4, your formula would be:
=SUM(B2:B4)
--
** John C **
Please remember if your question is answered, to mark it answered :). It

"pajake" wrote:

I am trying to add several number in one cell. Example: jan I put in
to cell 1: 100, then feb I add 200 to it, then march I ad 300 to it, so
the total so far is 600, this goes on for 12 months.
I have tried =Sum( , , , ). What I end up having is this
=SUM(100,200,300,).
I am using execll 2003
I get an error saying my equation is wrong.
Any ideas,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In cell A1 enter 100
In Cell A2 enter 200
In cell A3 enter 300
In any other cell enter =SUM(A1:A3)

George Gee

"pajake" wrote in message
I am trying to add several number in one cell. Example: jan I put in to
cell 1: 100, then feb I add 200 to it, then march I ad 300 to it, so the
total so far is 600, this goes on for 12 months. I have tried =Sum( , ,
). What I end up having is this =SUM(100,200,300,).
I am using execll 2003
I get an error saying my equation is wrong.
Any ideas,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Hardcoding values into cells defeats the purpose of using Excel. As pointed
out you should enter the numbers in other cells and then let Excel sum those
cells. However, that is not the reason you are getting an error. In the
formula you list
=SUM(100,200,300,)
works just fine on my machine. So if it fails for you then you are not
showing us everything. The SUM function will allow up to 30 arguments in
2003 and 255 in 2007 so 12 months is not causing a problem.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"pajake" wrote in message
I am trying to add several number in one cell. Example: jan I put in to
cell 1: 100, then feb I add 200 to it, then march I ad 300 to it, so the
total so far is 600, this goes on for 12 months. I have tried =Sum( , ,
). What I end up having is this =SUM(100,200,300,).
I am using execll 2003
I get an error saying my equation is wrong.
Any ideas,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You should indeed use cell references, but the SUM function is
unnecessary here; just

=100+200+300

--
shg
shg's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=13

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If the cells you are using are formatted for currency, then there's no
problem,
the formula will still sum them.

How are the cells formatted?
What are you actually typing into the cells?
Are you typing 100
Or are you typing $100

George Gee

"pajake" wrote in message
I am using currency as my numbers for my cells, could this be giving me
problems?