Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do you select a value and write this in a remote cell

I have a spreadsheet that describes multiple categories (rows) and multiple
values (columns) in the upper part of the spreadsheet. I wish to select the
appropriate value and then this value be written in a specific cell at a
location that is lower in this same spreadsheet. Once I've made a selection
for each of the categories, I'd also like to do this for a second site, but
move the cell, that the data is written into, one column to the right.

I'd appreciate any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Use generic terminology when you describe what you have and what you want.
You are the only one who knows your business. What is "site"? Of course I
know what the word means, but not in the context in which you used it.
I gather that you want to select (click on) cells in one row and from what
you say, one row is one category. You say that you want the value of the
active cell put in some cell somewhere else. Let's call that cell
"Destination". You don't say but I think you want subsequent cell values
(that you click on) in the same row placed under (below) the Destination
cell.
Then, I think you want, that if you click on a cell that is in another row,
you want the whole thing repeated but the values now placed one column to
the right of the first Destination cell, and so forth. Is that right?
You would need VBA for this. The problem you run into with this (how you
described it) is how does Excel know that you are now working on a different
row than you were before? Excel knows what cell you clicked on but it
doesn't know what cell you clicked on before unless you write the VBA to
keep a log of cell selections. Can I make a suggestion? You say that the
rows are categories. How is a row identified as to the category? If you
placed headers in the row of the Destination cell identifying each column as
to a category, then Excel will be able, through VBA, to take the value of
whatever cell you clicked on and place it in the proper column in the
Destination area. Would that help? HTH Otto
"walnutridge" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that describes multiple categories (rows) and multiple
values (columns) in the upper part of the spreadsheet. I wish to select
the
appropriate value and then this value be written in a specific cell at a
location that is lower in this same spreadsheet. Once I've made a
selection
for each of the categories, I'd also like to do this for a second site,
but
move the cell, that the data is written into, one column to the right.

I'd appreciate any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Otto, you are right, my description left something to be desired. My problem
was simple and I have to admit, it was resolved by splitting the screen. I
just didn't realize that function was there. Thank you for your response.
If I do run into a complex issue, I suppose I need to learn something about
visual basic.

Thanks again.