Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Looking for an Easy way to Achive a Result

Dear All,

I've decided to keep track of phone numbers dialed and the phone provider
I'm with allows viewing of the bill, but it only displays numbers...

So I copied and pasted it into Excel, now I'm looking for a way to automate
a column creation so that is checks the number in the number column and puts
a name in another column...

Is it easy to acheive?

Regards
Paul.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Paul,

Check this tutorial:

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Kardon Coupé" wrote in message ...
| Dear All,
|
| I've decided to keep track of phone numbers dialed and the phone provider
| I'm with allows viewing of the bill, but it only displays numbers...
|
| So I copied and pasted it into Excel, now I'm looking for a way to automate
| a column creation so that is checks the number in the number column and puts
| a name in another column...
|
| Is it easy to acheive?
|
| Regards
| Paul.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Niek,

I think I understand that....

But (and there is always a but) I understand the instructions are showing me
how to replace a cell with something from another sheet?

Can this be used so the cell of reference remains the same, but another cell
is the one that displays the deatils from the lookup table?

Regards
Paul

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Hi Paul,

Check this tutorial:

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Kardon Coupé" wrote in message
| Dear All,
|
| I've decided to keep track of phone numbers dialed and the phone
provider
| I'm with allows viewing of the bill, but it only displays numbers...
|
| So I copied and pasted it into Excel, now I'm looking for a way to
automate
| a column creation so that is checks the number in the number column and
puts
| a name in another column...
|
| Is it easy to acheive?
|
| Regards
| Paul.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Oooh, just tried it, and it works from another column.....

If I add more data into the table, have I gotta sort all the lookups again?

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Hi Paul,

Check this tutorial:

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Kardon Coupé" wrote in message
| Dear All,
|
| I've decided to keep track of phone numbers dialed and the phone
provider
| I'm with allows viewing of the bill, but it only displays numbers...
|
| So I copied and pasted it into Excel, now I'm looking for a way to
automate
| a column creation so that is checks the number in the number column and
puts
| a name in another column...
|
| Is it easy to acheive?
|
| Regards
| Paul.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Kardon Coupé" wrote in message ...
| But (and there is always a but) I understand the instructions are showing me
| how to replace a cell with something from another sheet?

No

| Can this be used so the cell of reference remains the same, but another cell
| is the one that displays the deatils from the lookup table?

Yes, like in

=VLOOKUP(B1,C1:D22,2,FALSE)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

| "Niek Otten" wrote in message
| Hi Paul,
|
| Check this tutorial:
|
| http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Kardon Coupé" wrote in message
| | Dear All,
| |
| | I've decided to keep track of phone numbers dialed and the phone
| provider
| | I'm with allows viewing of the bill, but it only displays numbers...
| |
| | So I copied and pasted it into Excel, now I'm looking for a way to
| automate
| | a column creation so that is checks the number in the number column and
| puts
| | a name in another column...
| |
| | Is it easy to acheive?
| |
| | Regards
| | Paul.
| |
| |

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

<have I gotta sort all the lookups again?

No.
Either insert new data before the last row (which will adjust the formulas automatically) or use a defined name for the table, so
you just have to redefine the range that it refers to, without altering the formulas.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Kardon Coupé" wrote in message ...
| Oooh, just tried it, and it works from another column.....
|
| If I add more data into the table, have I gotta sort all the lookups again?
|
| "Kardon Coupé" wrote in message
| Hi Niek,
|
| I think I understand that....
|
| But (and there is always a but) I understand the instructions are showing
| me how to replace a cell with something from another sheet?
|
| Can this be used so the cell of reference remains the same, but another
| cell is the one that displays the deatils from the lookup table?
|
| Regards
| Paul
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote in message
| Hi Paul,
|
| Check this tutorial:
|
| http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Kardon Coupé" wrote in message
| | Dear All,
| |
| | I've decided to keep track of phone numbers dialed and the phone
| provider
| | I'm with allows viewing of the bill, but it only displays numbers...
| |
| | So I copied and pasted it into Excel, now I'm looking for a way to
| automate
| | a column creation so that is checks the number in the number column and
| puts
| | a name in another column...
| |
| | Is it easy to acheive?