Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default DDE problem between Word and Excel

For years I have been using Word programs (Office 2000 series) to access
Excel name and address data files to produce letters, mailing
labels, etc. Now, when executing a Word merge program, I am all of a sudden
receiving the message, "Waiting for Microsoft Excel to Accept DDE Commands."
The computer then hangs up, as if in a loop. This is true for all my Word
merge programs. Nor can I create a new merge document in Word, because the
program hangs up when attempting to access the Excel name and address file.

What has happened?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Biggar
Houston, Texas

P.S. I tried two Word user forums on this topic without success. One MVP
suggested that someone in an Excel forum might have some thoughts.