Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

Default Export to Microsoft Excel missing from shortcut menu

(cross-post added to Excel
"tsundru" wrote in message
I'm using a computer with Vista, IE 7.0.6000.16711CO, Office 2003 SP3. The
shortcut menu in IE does not have the "Export to Microsoft Excel" command,
which I desperately need.

Sounds like an add-on.

I've been searching all over and can't find any advice about how to add this command.

So you found the add-on? ; )

Can anyone help?

How have you been searching? Here's a clue which would help
if it had been disabled by an administrator (in which case if you
aren't an administrator you should ask that person.)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/or...364971033.aspx

(Live Search for
"export to microsoft excel" "internet explorer"
)

<quote
The Custom Installation Wizard for Microsoft Office XP gives you
the ability to delete registry keys during installation. If you want
to remove the Export to Microsoft Excel command during Office XP
installation, you can do so by removing the registry key in the Custom
Installation Wizard.
</quote

You would probably get more knowledgeable help about such
a feature if you posted in an Excel (or Office) newsgroup.
Cross-posting for convenience.

thanks.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

Thanks for responding, Robert. I've searched in IE and Excel Help systems,
the MS site for both programs, and done searched on the Web. The command
appears on another machine with Win XP, and I don't recall having done
anything to have enabled (or disabled) it. I've posted to the Excel
discussion group - but I thought this would be more appropriate as it's an IE
feature, not an Excel feature.

thanks again.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

(cross-post added to Excel
"tsundru" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

Hi tsundru

I see this option on every Vista system with a default Vista install

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"tsundru" wrote in message ...
Thanks for responding, Robert. I've searched in IE and Excel Help systems,
the MS site for both programs, and done searched on the Web. The command
appears on another machine with Win XP, and I don't recall having done
anything to have enabled (or disabled) it. I've posted to the Excel
discussion group - but I thought this would be more appropriate as it's an IE
feature, not an Excel feature.

thanks again.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

(cross-post added to Excel
"tsundru" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

"tsundru" wrote in message
Thanks for responding, Robert. I've searched in IE and Excel Help systems,
the MS site for both programs, and done searched on the Web. The command
appears on another machine with Win XP, and I don't recall having done
anything to have enabled (or disabled) it. I've posted to the Excel
discussion group - but I thought this would be more appropriate as it's an
IE
feature, not an Excel feature.

On the Windows XP Machine that is not missing the Context menu item "Export
to Microsoft Excel", see if the following Registry Key is present:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\E&xport to
Microsoft Excel

In the right hand pane at the above Key, you should have a DWORD Item listed
called "Contexts":
DWord Name = Contexts

Make sure the Data Value for "Contexts" is set to one(1)
Data Value = 1

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

thanks again.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

(cross-post added to Excel
"tsundru" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

"tsundru" wrote in message
Thanks for responding, Robert. I've searched in IE and Excel Help systems,
the MS site for both programs, and done searched on the Web.

The command appears on another machine with Win XP,
and I don't recall having done anything to have enabled (or disabled) it.

Ok. Perhaps that would give you an opportunity to test the hypothesis then
by removing Office from that machine? <eg

Otherwise, on the machine that has the option, see if there is an extension
listed in Tools, Manage Add-ons which seems related to it and if disabling
that affects how your feature works. On an IE6 you might not have the
Manage Add-ons facility but you could still try _unchecking_
Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
(in Options, Advanced tab, Browsing section)

I've posted to the Excel
discussion group - but I thought this would be more appropriate as it's an IE
feature, not an Excel feature.

I doubt it. You are much more likely to find people knowledgeable about
both products in an Office newsgroup than just here in an IE newsgroup.
For example, I don't have any Office products installed and I don't have
the option being discussed.

FWIW another option that I imagine probably exists is repairing Office
or revising its installation so that this feature is installed and enabled.
Again, people more aware of Office options would have to advise you
about the appropriateness of such possibilities.

Good luck

Robert
---

thanks again.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

(cross-post added to Excel
"tsundru" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

"tsundru" wrote in message
Thanks for responding, Robert. I've searched in IE and Excel Help systems,
the MS site for both programs, and done searched on the Web. The command
appears on another machine with Win XP, and I don't recall having done
anything to have enabled (or disabled) it. I've posted to the Excel
discussion group - but I thought this would be more appropriate as it's an
IE
feature, not an Excel feature.

thanks again.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

(cross-post added to Excel
"tsundru" wrote in message
[...]

That option is installed by Microsoft Office.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the XP machine with the shortcut menu, that registry key doesn't have a
DWORD item; only this:
Name: (Default)
Type: REG_SZ
Data: res://[path to Excel exe]/3000

As an experiment, I added this key to the Vista machine and it appears to be
working. If you foresee any downside from my having edited the registry
directly, please let me know.

thanks for your help!

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

"tsundru" wrote in message
[...]