Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to: links on the same page

This should be very easy, BUT can't figure it out.
Excel 2003.

I have a single sheet with 7 columns and around 550 rows.
I made an Index on the top area of the spread sheet with the idea of linking
areas bellow.
I know how to link to something like B450, BUT what I want to link is the
CONTENT on that cell,
so if I insert or delete a row above B450 the link stay intact.

Thanks,
Erich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

My guess, maybe: =INDIRECT("B450")
which will always point to & return the contents of B450
--
Max
Singapore
"Erich Koch" wrote in message
This should be very easy, BUT can't figure it out.
Excel 2003.

I have a single sheet with 7 columns and around 550 rows.
I made an Index on the top area of the spread sheet with the idea of
linking areas bellow.
I know how to link to something like B450, BUT what I want to link is the
CONTENT on that cell,
so if I insert or delete a row above B450 the link stay intact.

Thanks,
Erich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

I'm not sure why the link you mention doesn't work because if you delete or
insert a row above or below the link it would still work, of course that
depends on the type of link you are creating (hyperlink or formula?)

If you are using a hyperlink - then name the target cell and use the name in
the hyperlink.
If you are linking via a formula, then you wouldn't loose the link.
If you use a formula link you can move to the cell by pressing Ctrl+[ which
is very fast.

I do not believe it is possibe to use the INDIRECT command in the hyperlink
window.

To name the target cell - select if and then type in the Name Box above the
column letter A, the name you want to use (no spaces) and then press Enter.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Erich Koch" wrote:

This should be very easy, BUT can't figure it out.
Excel 2003.

I have a single sheet with 7 columns and around 550 rows.
I made an Index on the top area of the spread sheet with the idea of linking
areas bellow.
I know how to link to something like B450, BUT what I want to link is the
CONTENT on that cell,
so if I insert or delete a row above B450 the link stay intact.

Thanks,
Erich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I am creating a hyperlink.
Excel (2003) does not allow me to use the "contents of the cell". I have to
use the call out, i.e B405 or whatever the particular place I am trying to
jump to.
Then if I insert or delete rows above cell B405 the jump will still be to
B405 of course, but because of the deletion or addition of cells now there
is different text information on that cell.

This should be possible, it seems to me that is a necessary capability the
program should have. I just want to jump to a cell that contains "XYZ"
information, regardless in which cell that text is located. Sort of like
"find" command, it keeps finding then next location of "XYZ".

Thanks,
Erich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

.. I just want to jump to a cell that contains "XYZ" information,
regardless in which cell that text is located.

Assume base data (eg: xyz) is to be found in col B
Assume input value in C1: xyz
Put in D1:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDIRECT("B"&MATCH(C 1,$B:$B,0))),C1)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:18,300 Files:362 Subscribers:57
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I appreciate your help.
Don't quite understand what the entry is doing. Can't get it to work.
I'll keep trying.

Thanks,
Erich

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Assume base data (eg: xyz) is to be found in col B
Assume input value in C1: xyz
Put in D1:
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDIRECT("B"&MATCH(C 1,$B:$B,0))),C1)

The formula in D1 creates a dynamic hyperlink which jumps to the cell in col
B which matches the input value in C1. Its insert-row & delete-row proof