Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How Do I Condition A Entire Row, Based On The Content Of A Single

Hi All

How Do I Condition A Entire Row, Based On The Content Of A Single Cell

I have a simple spreadsheet. 40 Rows long and 8 Columns wide. Column 8
(the last Column) contains a single word. Depending on what that word is, I
want the entire row to turn into another colour.

So far. I've only managed to work out how to condition the invidual cell.
Any ideas?

Kind Regards
Emmily.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Emmily

Select your entire block of 40 rows by 8 columns.
FormatConditional FormattingFormula Is=$H1="dog"Choose FormatOK

Substitute dog with whatever word you want.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Frustrated-Emmily" wrote in
message ...
Hi All

How Do I Condition A Entire Row, Based On The Content Of A Single Cell

I have a simple spreadsheet. 40 Rows long and 8 Columns wide. Column 8
(the last Column) contains a single word. Depending on what that word is,
want the entire row to turn into another colour.

So far. I've only managed to work out how to condition the invidual cell.
Any ideas?

Kind Regards
Emmily.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

For example, say we want row 1 to be yellow if "happy" is entered in H1.

Click on H1 and:
Format Condtional formatting Formula is

=$H$1="happy"

and pick a nice color

Finally copy H1 and paste/special/format onto A1 thru G1.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200805

"Frustrated-Emmily" wrote:

Hi All

How Do I Condition A Entire Row, Based On The Content Of A Single Cell

I have a simple spreadsheet. 40 Rows long and 8 Columns wide. Column 8
(the last Column) contains a single word. Depending on what that word is, I
want the entire row to turn into another colour.

So far. I've only managed to work out how to condition the invidual cell.
Any ideas?

Kind Regards
Emmily.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How Do I Condition A Entire Row, Based On The Content Of A Cell.

Thank you both for taking the time and the trouble to post a reply.
However, I'm uncertain that I've followed your instructions correctly as it
doesn't seem to work.

From Conditional Formating in Excel 07, I choose from the drop down menu:
Use A Formula To Determine Which Cells To Format.

I then enter into the box below (where it states: Format Values Where This
Forumla Is True) the following:

=$H$1=Closed

Then I choose a colour.

Then I paste / copy this formula into all the other cells so if the word
Closed appears in Column 8, the entire row will change to the same colour.

Kind Regards
Emmily

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Emmily

You need to enclose the test value in quotes.
You need the row reference to be Relative, not absolute as you have. Remove
the $ before the row number
=$H1="Closed"

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Frustrated-Emmily" wrote in
message ...

Thank you both for taking the time and the trouble to post a reply.
However, I'm uncertain that I've followed your instructions correctly as
it
doesn't seem to work.

From Conditional Formating in Excel 07, I choose from the drop down menu:
Use A Formula To Determine Which Cells To Format.

I then enter into the box below (where it states: Format Values Where This
Forumla Is True) the following:

=$H$1=Closed

Then I choose a colour.

Then I paste / copy this formula into all the other cells so if the word
Closed appears in Column 8, the entire row will change to the same colour.

Kind Regards
Emmily

Junior Member

Location: South Woodham Ferrers, Essex

Hi, Rather than start another thread about a similar thing i thought i would use this one.

I am trying to set up a Conditional Formatting to work as follows.

If "Sat" or "Sun" is typed in any cell in column A I would like that row to be highlighted with a colour.

For example if A10 is "Sat" cells A10 to Q10 need to be a colour.
For example if A11 is "Sun" cells A10 to Q11 need to be a colour.

Thanks in advance

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Govier[_3_] View Post
Hi Emmily

You need to enclose the test value in quotes.
You need the row reference to be Relative, not absolute as you have. Remove
the $ before the row number
=$H1="Closed"

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Frustrated-Emmily" wrote in
message ...

Thank you both for taking the time and the trouble to post a reply.
However, I'm uncertain that I've followed your instructions correctly as
it
doesn't seem to work.

From Conditional Formating in Excel 07, I choose from the drop down menu:
Use A Formula To Determine Which Cells To Format.

I then enter into the box below (where it states: Format Values Where This
Forumla Is True) the following:

=$H$1=Closed

Then I choose a colour.

Then I paste / copy this formula into all the other cells so if the word
Closed appears in Column 8, the entire row will change to the same colour.

Kind Regards
Emmily

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Select cells A1:Q100
Formatfrom dropdown chose Conditional FormattingFormula Is
=$A1="Sat"FormatChoose Cell or Font colourAdd
Formula Is =$A1="Sun"FormatChoose Cell or Font colourOK

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"the-jackal" wrote in message

Hi, Rather than start another thread about a similar thing i thought i
would use this one.

I am trying to set up a Conditional Formatting to work as follows.

If "Sat" or "Sun" is typed in any cell in column A I would like that
row to be highlighted with a colour.

For example if A10 is "Sat" cells A10 to Q10 need to be a colour.
For example if A11 is "Sun" cells A10 to Q11 need to be a colour.

Thanks in advance

Carl

'Roger Govier[_3_ Wrote:
;729033']Hi Emmily

You need to enclose the test value in quotes.
You need the row reference to be Relative, not absolute as you have.
Remove
the $ before the row number
=$H1="Closed"

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Frustrated-Emmily" wrote
in
message ...-

Thank you both for taking the time and the trouble to post a reply.
However, I'm uncertain that I've followed your instructions correctly

as
it
doesn't seem to work.

From Conditional Formating in Excel 07, I choose from the drop down