Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default How Do I Condition A Entire Row, Based On The Content Of A Cell.

Hi Emmily

You need to enclose the test value in quotes.
You need the row reference to be Relative, not absolute as you have. Remove
the $ before the row number
=$H1="Closed"

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Frustrated-Emmily" wrote in
message ...

Thank you both for taking the time and the trouble to post a reply.
However, I'm uncertain that I've followed your instructions correctly as
it
doesn't seem to work.

From Conditional Formating in Excel 07, I choose from the drop down menu:
Use A Formula To Determine Which Cells To Format.

I then enter into the box below (where it states: Format Values Where This
Forumla Is True) the following:

=$H$1=Closed

Then I choose a colour.

Then I paste / copy this formula into all the other cells so if the word
Closed appears in Column 8, the entire row will change to the same colour.

Kind Regards
Emmily