Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I protect one single cell?

I have a spreadsheet where people are going to type in numbers, and
the final cell is a total, which of course I don't want people to
accidentally type over, as it will lose the formula behind it.

So...... I put some "data validation" behind that cell, to say only
allow entries of text length = 50 - a kind of "mock" condition.
Nobody'e ever gonna type in 50 chars. are they?! And sure enough,
typing in (eg) 854221 brings up the error box to stop them, just like
(eg) HHJSYT brings up the error box to stop them. I even unchecked the
ignore blank" box, so that entering (eg) " " does the same.

So much for numbers, letters and spaces. HOWEVER, if someone goes into
the cell and presses delete, delete, delete (i.e. making a "null"
character), it allows this! Help! I can't think of any way round this.
Can anybody suggest one?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Select all cells then
Format|Cells|Protection
Un-Check the locked tab

Then select the cell you want to protect then
Format|Cells|Protection
Check the locked tab

Protect the sheet with
Tools|Protection|protect sheet and add a password if you want and your done.

Note this is protection against accidental deletion only and removing your
protection even without knowing the password is easilly accomplished

Mike

"Neil Grafton" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where people are going to type in numbers, and
the final cell is a total, which of course I don't want people to
accidentally type over, as it will lose the formula behind it.

So...... I put some "data validation" behind that cell, to say only
allow entries of text length = 50 - a kind of "mock" condition.
Nobody'e ever gonna type in 50 chars. are they?! And sure enough,
typing in (eg) 854221 brings up the error box to stop them, just like
(eg) HHJSYT brings up the error box to stop them. I even unchecked the
ignore blank" box, so that entering (eg) " " does the same.

So much for numbers, letters and spaces. HOWEVER, if someone goes into
the cell and presses delete, delete, delete (i.e. making a "null"
character), it allows this! Help! I can't think of any way round this.
Can anybody suggest one?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks folks! I was aware of the cell locking and sheet protection
business, but could never connect the two before, hence my trying the
data validation rigmarole. It seems I just needed someone to list the
steps in the right order!

Thanks again.