Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Qestion to judge whether the candidate has passed or failed ......

Qestion to judge whether the candidate has passed or failed depending upon
the marks secured in different subjects.
my question is that to compare marks scored by the person in different
subject and if the marks scored by that person in any one of that person is
less than 40 i have to get "F" in grade coloumn else i have to get "P" in
that coloumn. Hope that u got that u got my question.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Lets enter the gardes in column A from A2 thru A100. In another cell enter:

=IF(MIN(A2:A100)<40,"F","P")

adjust the range to suit your needs.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200791

"Neelakanta" wrote:

Qestion to judge whether the candidate has passed or failed depending upon
the marks secured in different subjects.
my question is that to compare marks scored by the person in different
subject and if the marks scored by that person in any one of that person is
less than 40 i have to get "F" in grade coloumn else i have to get "P" in
that coloumn. Hope that u got that u got my question.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

ur method worked but, i can't understand how did it caluculate?
MIN(a1:a100) returns the value which is minimum in that cell range.
isn't it? and if that is less than 40........... ?????
i can't understand the logic.
can u please explain me?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Here is the thinking behind the approach:

We want to know if ANY of the grades are below 40. So let's look at the
lowest grade. MIN() gives us the lowest grade. If that grade is below 40,
then the candidate fails. We don't need to consider any of the person's
other grades.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200791

"Neelakanta" wrote:

ur method worked but, i can't understand how did it caluculate?
MIN(a1:a100) returns the value which is minimum in that cell range.
isn't it? and if that is less than 40........... ?????
i can't understand the logic.
can u please explain me?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers