Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Simple Keyboard Maneuver

I tried to make a macro to do this, but I failed.

I need to do this: in the same row I want to copy the contents of one cell
and then copy the same contents into the next cell to the right, and then
delete the contents in the left cell.

I have tried various keystrokes, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there any
way this can be automated? Of course using a macro would be nice, but as I
said I couldn't get it to do even this simple task. Could someone please give
me some advice? Also, I am incapable of writing a macro from scratch.

To repeat: copy the contents of a cell, paste the contents in the next cell
(to the right), and delete the contents of the first / left cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

try this,

Sub sonic()
ActiveCell.Offset(, 1).Value = ActiveCell.Value
ActiveCell.ClearContents
End Sub

Mike

"Rebecca" wrote:

I tried to make a macro to do this, but I failed.

I need to do this: in the same row I want to copy the contents of one cell
and then copy the same contents into the next cell to the right, and then
delete the contents in the left cell.

I have tried various keystrokes, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there any
way this can be automated? Of course using a macro would be nice, but as I
said I couldn't get it to do even this simple task. Could someone please give
me some advice? Also, I am incapable of writing a macro from scratch.

To repeat: copy the contents of a cell, paste the contents in the next cell
(to the right), and delete the contents of the first / left cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Rebecca

Without using a macro.
Place your cursor in source cellControl+X
Place your cursor in destination cellControl+V

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rebecca" wrote in message
I tried to make a macro to do this, but I failed.

I need to do this: in the same row I want to copy the contents of one cell
and then copy the same contents into the next cell to the right, and then
delete the contents in the left cell.

I have tried various keystrokes, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there any
way this can be automated? Of course using a macro would be nice, but as I
said I couldn't get it to do even this simple task. Could someone please
give
me some advice? Also, I am incapable of writing a macro from scratch.

To repeat: copy the contents of a cell, paste the contents in the next
cell
(to the right), and delete the contents of the first / left cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, Roger, but slow as I am I know that keystrokes. I need a faster way
to do this (since it's a large spreadsheet). I'll try Mike's macro, then
designate a hotkey, and that would eliminate a few strokes.

"Rebecca" wrote in message
I tried to make a macro to do this, but I failed.

I need to do this: in the same row I want to copy the contents of one cell
and then copy the same contents into the next cell to the right, and then
delete the contents in the left cell.

I have tried various keystrokes, but it doesn't seem to work. Is there any
way this can be automated? Of course using a macro would be nice, but as I
said I couldn't get it to do even this simple task. Could someone please
give
me some advice? Also, I am incapable of writing a macro from scratch.

To repeat: copy the contents of a cell, paste the contents in the next
cell
(to the right), and delete the contents of the first / left cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Rebecca

if you need to do it for all cells within a column, you could just Highlight
the columnInsert
This would have the same effect.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Select the cells or column, Ctrl + Shift + plus key
Ok, to shift cells to right.

With code:
activecell.EntireColumn.Insert shift:=xltoright

or
activecell = activecell(1,2) : activecell.clearcontents

or
With Selection
.Copy .Offset(0, 1)
.ClearContents
End With

Without knowing why you wish to do this, we cant advise you on the damage you can do to the worksheets Names and Formulas if you think this OK.
Changing the whole row or column would be a lot safer.
Which is easy to do with Ctrl & minus key for the selection.

Regards
Robert McCurdy