Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default trouble getting a formula to repeat rows

Thanks in advance to all your help.
I have a formula I'm using, =(C1*3)+(E1*5)+(F1*3)+(I1*5)+K1, and I need it
to repeat at the end of every row and recalculate every row, so that every
row has its own total. Trouble is, when I copy the formula from the Formula
bar and paste it into the last cell of the next row, it just keeps
calculating for the very first row. I've checked my settings and I'm set to
"automatic" calculation not manual (as I've read that is a common problem)
but to no avail. Please help me!
Also, on a probably much simpler note: several columns of data are less than
whole numbers, ie., .345, .245, etc. How can I change these to represent
whole numbers, ie., 345 and 245 sans decimals?
Thanks again!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

First your formula, you don't copy it from the formula bar and paste it,
instead you drag it by selecting the cell and pointing to the fill handle on
the bottom right hand corner. Click and hold the left mouse button and drag
down and you formula will increment.

Fot the nimber put 1000 in a cell somewhere and copy it. Select your cells
with the decimal numbers in and
Edit|Paste special
Select multiply and click OK
Note this only works for .345 etc for .35 you would need to multiply by 100.

Mike

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

Thanks in advance to all your help.
I have a formula I'm using, =(C1*3)+(E1*5)+(F1*3)+(I1*5)+K1, and I need it
to repeat at the end of every row and recalculate every row, so that every
row has its own total. Trouble is, when I copy the formula from the Formula
bar and paste it into the last cell of the next row, it just keeps
calculating for the very first row. I've checked my settings and I'm set to
"automatic" calculation not manual (as I've read that is a common problem)
but to no avail. Please help me!
Also, on a probably much simpler note: several columns of data are less than
whole numbers, ie., .345, .245, etc. How can I change these to represent
whole numbers, ie., 345 and 245 sans decimals?
Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

well I'll be damned! I've been messing with that formula problem for some
time now. Thanks!
As far as the decimal issue though, when I select Edit then Paste Special,
it doesn't give me an option for multiply, just Paste As: Unicode Text or
Text.

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

Thanks in advance to all your help.
I have a formula I'm using, =(C1*3)+(E1*5)+(F1*3)+(I1*5)+K1, and I need it
to repeat at the end of every row and recalculate every row, so that every
row has its own total. Trouble is, when I copy the formula from the Formula
bar and paste it into the last cell of the next row, it just keeps
calculating for the very first row. I've checked my settings and I'm set to
"automatic" calculation not manual (as I've read that is a common problem)
but to no avail. Please help me!
Also, on a probably much simpler note: several columns of data are less than
whole numbers, ie., .345, .245, etc. How can I change these to represent
whole numbers, ie., 345 and 245 sans decimals?
Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Are you copying the cell from the same worksheet?

Or from a worksheet in another workbook in a second instance of Excel?

The only time I see the Paste SpecialUnicode or text is in the latter
situation.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

Thanks in advance to all your help.
I have a formula I'm using, =(C1*3)+(E1*5)+(F1*3)+(I1*5)+K1, and I need it
to repeat at the end of every row and recalculate every row, so that every
row has its own total. Trouble is, when I copy the formula from the Formula
bar and paste it into the last cell of the next row, it just keeps
calculating for the very first row. I've checked my settings and I'm set to
"automatic" calculation not manual (as I've read that is a common problem)
but to no avail. Please help me!
Also, on a probably much simpler note: several columns of data are less than
whole numbers, ie., .345, .245, etc. How can I change these to represent
whole numbers, ie., 345 and 245 sans decimals?
Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

yes, I'm working from the same worksheet. I type "1000" in an unused cell,
click Edit from the top toolbar, click Paste Special and it opens a window
that states:
Source: Paste: and I can highlight and choose either Unicode Text or Text.
same window. I even opened a blank page and tried the whole process there
from scratch, but to no avail...

"FoulDwimmerlaik" wrote:

Thanks in advance to all your help.
I have a formula I'm using, =(C1*3)+(E1*5)+(F1*3)+(I1*5)+K1, and I need it
to repeat at the end of every row and recalculate every row, so that every
row has its own total. Trouble is, when I copy the formula from the Formula
bar and paste it into the last cell of the next row, it just keeps
calculating for the very first row. I've checked my settings and I'm set to
"automatic" calculation not manual (as I've read that is a common problem)
but to no avail. Please help me!
Also, on a probably much simpler note: several columns of data are less than
whole numbers, ie., .345, .245, etc. How can I change these to represent
whole numbers, ie., 345 and 245 sans decimals?
Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you're positive that you're not copying from a different instance of excel,
then you may have an addin that is trying to take over.

I think that there was another poster who found that when he disabled a
commercial addin, that the problem went away.

You may want to try a test to see if this could be true:
Close excel
open excel in safe mode
windows start button|Run
type:
excel /safe
and hit enter.

Then use File|Open and test it once or twice.

If the problem doesn't go way, then ignore this message!

But if the problem goes away, are you ready to do some detective work to find
out the culprit?

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

Essentially, you'll turn off all the addins/startup workbooks and then open
excel. And then turn on each addin (closing and reopening) one at a time to
find the culprit.

You'll test it each time you open excel. If the problem occurs when you turned
on a specific addin/workbook, then you found it!

--

Dave Peterson