Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Problem opening files from server

When attempting to open a file from the server by clicking the short cut to
the folder on the server, then the file I get the following message:

Windows cannot find 'L:\name_of-file.xls'. Make sure you typed the name
correctly, and then try again.

If I bring up excel 2007, then click the "folder" to the right of the
'Office Button' (upper left hand corner), it brings up a listing of the
network drives and the files under them. I can click on the *.xls that I
desire to open and it opens it without a problem.

Also, I can click the 'Office Button' and the file I wish to open is listed
under 'Recent Documents' - click it and it opens.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to correct the problem would be
greatly appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It sounds like the shortcut may not be pointing to the correct folder on the
server. This can happen often when moving or renaming folders or files.
Try going to the server and viewing the contents of "L" and when you see the
actual folder right drag and create a new shortcut in the spot where you need
the shortcut to be.