Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default problem opening saved files

I am having a problem with excel recognizing files that have been saved to my
documents folder. It will not open any of my excel programs from outside of
the program itself, only by clicking on the recent files list at the bottom
of the file menu. Can someone help, please. I need to send a file to my
daughter, but excel will not open the file.
We are both using excel / office 97
gmh
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Make the sure that the file still has the ".xls" file extension on it (file
name.xls). I have had instances that an extension is stripped off and a
program will not recognize it.

"gnjmh" wrote:

I am having a problem with excel recognizing files that have been saved to my
documents folder. It will not open any of my excel programs from outside of
the program itself, only by clicking on the recent files list at the bottom
of the file menu. Can someone help, please. I need to send a file to my
daughter, but excel will not open the file.
We are both using excel / office 97
gmh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Actually, when the could nto find file error box pops up, it makes the
suggestion to retype the name correctly (it is already correct) or to try to
search for the file. When you run a Windows search, the file actually shows
up 3 times...each time I have opened the file to edit it and then resaved it
to a different folder in My Documents. Course then when I try to open the
"found" files, they get the can not be found error....can't seem to
understand how Windows search shows the files in My documents, but they won't
open from those respective folders.

"gnjmh" wrote:

I am having a problem with excel recognizing files that have been saved to my
documents folder. It will not open any of my excel programs from outside of
the program itself, only by clicking on the recent files list at the bottom
of the file menu. Can someone help, please. I need to send a file to my
daughter, but excel will not open the file.
We are both using excel / office 97
gmh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

gnjmh

Try this:
Open Excel, Tools Options 'General' tab,
make sure 'Ignore other applications' is unchecked.

George Gee

"gnjmh" wrote:

I am having a problem with excel recognizing files that have been
saved to my
documents folder. It will not open any of my excel programs from
outside of
the program itself, only by clicking on the recent files list at the
bottom
of the file menu. Can someone help, please. I need to send a file to
my
daughter, but excel will not open the file.
We are both using excel / office 97
gmh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

George, Thank You! this seems to hae fixed my problem. It is opening files
from my documents folder now.
Thanks again....I really appreciate everyone who tried to help
gmh

"gnjmh" wrote:

I am having a problem with excel recognizing files that have been
saved to my
documents folder. It will not open any of my excel programs from
outside of
the program itself, only by clicking on the recent files list at the
bottom
of the file menu. Can someone help, please. I need to send a file to
my
daughter, but excel will not open the file.
We are both using excel / office 97
gmh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

gmh

Glad to have been able to help.
Thanks for the feedback.

George Gee

"gnjmh" wrote:

I am having a problem with excel recognizing files that have been
saved to my
documents folder. It will not open any of my excel programs from
outside of
the program itself, only by clicking on the recent files list at
the
bottom
of the file menu. Can someone help, please. I need to send a file
my
daughter, but excel will not open the file.
We are both using excel / office 97
gmh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This worked for me one time and has never worked again. The ONLY way that I
have been able to open .xls files is if I am in Excel and do "file open."
Which is very inefficient.... any other recommendations? I have seen the
recommendation to hold down the Control key while opening & this hasn't done
any good.

Tx,
ann