Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Get Excel to provide equation for my x and y

I am doing an assignment on how hot water gets in degrees celcius when so
many kilojoules are supplied to it. i have a graph, with data provided to me
for this function. kilojoules is my y, and degrees celcius is my x. i need to
get excel to provide an equation that relates heat, y supplied to temp., x,
in the range of 0-100 degrees celcius.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In A1 type the word temperature; in B1 the word kilojoules
Under these enter your data
Put the mouse pointer anywhere with in the data; use the Chart Wizard on the
toolbar to make an XY chart with just markers (no line)
When you have the chart, right click a marker in the chart; use Insert
Trendline; specify Linear trendline and in the Options check the Display
Formula
If the fit is not good, right click the trendline in the chart; use Format
Trendline and change it to a second order polynomial
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"hasargent" wrote in message
I am doing an assignment on how hot water gets in degrees celcius when so
many kilojoules are supplied to it. i have a graph, with data provided to
me
for this function. kilojoules is my y, and degrees celcius is my x. i need
get excel to provide an equation that relates heat, y supplied to temp.,
x,
in the range of 0-100 degrees celcius.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Your first sentence tells me the temperature is the dependent variable so
strictly, celsius should by Y and kilojoules should be X.

If your data is set out as you have explained it then you should get what
the teacher is expecting but be aware the equation could be wrong if you have
the axis the wrong way round (I think!)

Just a warning