Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formula Bar blocks column header letters so I can't paste

I've run into a problem while trying to move a couple of columns in an
Excel 2003 worksheet.

I'm trying to move columns J & K a couple of columns over to the right
and insert them to the left of column N.

Here's what happens:

1. I put the mouse pointer over the letter J at the top of the column
and click the left mouse button.

2. As I would expect, all the cells in the column turn blue, and
heavy dark vertical borders appear along the sides of the column.

3. But, a horizontal white bar pops up along the top edge of the
worksheet and obscures all of the alphabetical column header letters,
so I'm unable to see the letter of column N (or any of the other
columns for that matter) so I'm not able to click on column N in order
to insert the column.

4. When I put the mouse pointer inside the annoying white bar, a
little label pops up saying "formula bar"

How can I make this white bar go away so I can see the letters at the
tops of the columns?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Is there any data in J1?

You can hide the formula bar whilst you make your alterations:
ToolsOptionsView Tab, uncheck 'Formula Bar'.

George Gee

"Clueless in Seattle" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Couple of methods to oversome this.

1. ViewFormula Bar and uncheck it.

2. Hit the restore icon on the title bar and make the sheet window smaller.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:25:31 -0800 (PST), Clueless in Seattle
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Nov 21, 11:44 am, "George Gee" wrote:
Is there any data in J1?

You can hide the formula bar whilst you make your alterations:
ToolsOptionsView Tab, uncheck 'Formula Bar'.

Thanks, that did the trick. I just swapped the columns.

As for whether there was data in J1, I have to confess that I
overlooked your question until after I had made the swap. But I think
there was data in J1 before the swap. But now there isn't.

Thanks again, to both of you who responded.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"