Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Maximum number of rows in a excel 2003 work sheet

Hi,
As a new user to excel I am thinking of setting up a data base of my music.
The total number of tracks is in excess of 70,000. I have seen a simple
solution using excel which would be ok but I'm not sure if I can have 70,000
rows in one work sheet. A friend has suggested access which I am not
familiar with and don't know if this will allow 70,000 entries. Can anyone
please tell me what the maximum numbers are in both access and excel 2003.

Cheers
Glinty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Excel 2007 has over a million rows, of course it has a new radical design
hated by a lot of people and loved by a few

And in any case, Excel is a data MANIPULATION application, not a database.
Anything with data approaching 60,000 records will be MUCH better served
using a specific database application rather than Excel...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I agree, use a database for storing lots of records, then use Excel to query
the database whether it is using a database query or a pivot table..
Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is
slow.

Peo Sjoblom

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Excel 2007 has over a million rows, of course it has a new radical design
hated by a lot of people and loved by a few

And in any case, Excel is a data MANIPULATION application, not a database.
Anything with data approaching 60,000 records will be MUCH better served
using a specific database application rather than Excel...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

loved by a few

Can you name any of these fewg

Gord

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB JMB is offline

Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is
slow.

I imagine that abuse was further encouraged when they added over 1 million
rows.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Excel 2007 has over a million rows, of course it has a new radical design
hated by a lot of people and loved by a few

And in any case, Excel is a data MANIPULATION application, not a database.
Anything with data approaching 60,000 records will be MUCH better served
using a specific database application rather than Excel...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"JMB" wrote in message
Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is
slow.

I imagine that abuse was further encouraged when they added over 1 million
rows.

Yes - I cannot IMAGINE any sane person using Excel with that amount of
data - and I'm a retired (just!) Systems and Management Accountant...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Gordon wrote:
"JMB" wrote in message
Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is
slow.

I imagine that abuse was further encouraged when they added over 1 million
rows.

Yes - I cannot IMAGINE any sane person using Excel with that amount of
data - and I'm a retired (just!) Systems and Management Accountant...

I agree but 65000 rows was a limit that I bumped against constantly.
I work with a database with about 75000 SKU's and customer sales history
that commonly exceeded the row limit. I was glad to see the increase.
While most of what I needed could be done in Access sometimes it's just
easier for me to do it in Excel.

gls858