Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Entering 16 digit numbers in cell

When I type in the 16 digits, Excel changes the last digit to 0 so I don't
have a correct number listed.
How can I get it to accept all 16 digits correctly?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Excel, like nearly all software, supports only 15 digits of precision.
Anything beyond that is no man's land. If you need to store a longer number
but not perform calculations with it (e.g., a credit card number or phone
number), precede the number with an apostrophe. The apostrophe will not be
visible in the cell but will be visible in the formula bar.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Dutch" wrote in message
When I type in the 16 digits, Excel changes the last digit to 0 so I don't
have a correct number listed.
How can I get it to accept all 16 digits correctly?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

either pre-format the cells as Text, or enter a single quote before the
number, which will force it to be text.
'0123456789012345

--
Regards