lsu-i-like

Default entering a number of more than 1 digit

I would like to enter a number with 9 digits in a format like this -
(123-45-6789) and have each digit be placed in an individual cell.
A1=1
B1=2
C1=3, etc.

Is there a way to do this?

--
lsu-i-like
lsu-i-like's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14317

BenjieLop

lsu-i-like Wrote:
I would like to enter a number with 9 digits in a format like this -
(123-45-6789) and have each digit be placed in an individual cell.
A1=1
B1=2
C1=3, etc.

Is there a way to do this?

Assuming your entry is in Cell X1, this are your formulas:

A1: =left(X1,1)
B1: =mid(X1,2,1)
C1: =mid(X1,3,1)
D1: =mid(X1,5,1)
E1: =mid(X1,6,1)
F1: =mid(X1,8,1)
G1: =mid(X1,9,1)
H1: =mid(X1,10,1)
I1: =right(X1,1)

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=379487

MrShorty

I';m sure there are several approaches. Here's mine:
Enter data in A2 123-45-6789
Enter position number for each number in B1:J1 {1,2,3,5,6,8,9,10,11}
B2=MID($A2,B$1,1) copied across row 2

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181

lsu-i-like

i want to enter the number in the first cell of output, so using your
terminology, x1=a1. this creates a circular reference using left so
that wont work. i might have to use your way. in any case, your reply
is a big help. any additional help is appreciated.

--
lsu-i-like
lsu-i-like's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=14317
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=379487

BenjieLop

lsu-i-like Wrote:
i want to enter the number in the first cell of output, so using your
terminology, x1=a1. this creates a circular reference using left so
that wont work. i might have to use your way. in any case, your reply
is a big help. any additional help is appreciated.

NOTE that I never meant *-X1 to be equal to A1-*. These are two
independent and different cells.

In my example, X1 is where you have your "xxx-xx-xxxx" entered and the
individual single numbers will appear in Cell A1 up to Cell I1.