Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Text box function is disabled ...

OK, I'm embarrassed ... I posted about this two days ago and despite an
hour's worth of efforts, cannot find the thread. I have an Excel document in
Vista (though it has been saved to be compatible with Office 2003) with text
boxes. I am unable to select a text box to move it, edit the text, or delete
it. I am unable to insert a new text box (option is greyed out). None of the
worksheets in the document are protected. When I copy an entire worksheet to
a new document, the text boxes do not copy over.

I've tried saving the document as several different types of Excel files
(options in Vista), but the problem still exists. I know this is probably
something really simple, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas? Anybody?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Deb

Is the comment hidden? Right-click on the cell with a comment and select
edit comment from the shortcut menu, you can then select it and do what you
will.

Comments should copy if you use Edit, Move or Copy sheet, click make a copy
to retains the sheet in the original workbook.

It is always useful to click the Notify me of replies checkbox when asking a
question.

Regards
Peter
"Deb RW" wrote:

OK, I'm embarrassed ... I posted about this two days ago and despite an
hour's worth of efforts, cannot find the thread. I have an Excel document in
Vista (though it has been saved to be compatible with Office 2003) with text
boxes. I am unable to select a text box to move it, edit the text, or delete
it. I am unable to insert a new text box (option is greyed out). None of the
worksheets in the document are protected. When I copy an entire worksheet to
a new document, the text boxes do not copy over.

I've tried saving the document as several different types of Excel files
(options in Vista), but the problem still exists. I know this is probably
something really simple, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas? Anybody?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you Peter (Billy?)!

It's actually text boxes I'm having trouble with, not comments. I managed to
talk to Microsoft Support today, and they seemed to think the problem is due
to the fact that I'm using a trial version of Office 97. When I pointed out
that I was able to both create and modify the text boxes just two days ago,
he said that on trial versions, some features "fade out" over time.

Doesn't seem very nice to me to just quit without any notification ... or
maybe that was in the fine print somewhere and I somehow managed to miss this
little detail ... Anyway, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the
full version. If the text boxes STILL don't work, I'll be back on the phone
with them!

Deb RW

"Deb RW" wrote:

OK, I'm embarrassed ... I posted about this two days ago and despite an
hour's worth of efforts, cannot find the thread. I have an Excel document in
Vista (though it has been saved to be compatible with Office 2003) with text
boxes. I am unable to select a text box to move it, edit the text, or delete
it. I am unable to insert a new text box (option is greyed out). None of the
worksheets in the document are protected. When I copy an entire worksheet to
a new document, the text boxes do not copy over.

I've tried saving the document as several different types of Excel files
(options in Vista), but the problem still exists. I know this is probably
something really simple, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas? Anybody?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Deb

Bill G will be happy that you're buying the new version, I don't suppose you
can reinstall the old version again? Before you get xl2007 try posting again
on the Application Errors page someone may have the solution there.

good luck
Peter

Billy Liddel was the first great football player I saw when I was a young man.

"Deb RW" wrote:

OK, I'm embarrassed ... I posted about this two days ago and despite an
hour's worth of efforts, cannot find the thread. I have an Excel document in
Vista (though it has been saved to be compatible with Office 2003) with text
boxes. I am unable to select a text box to move it, edit the text, or delete
it. I am unable to insert a new text box (option is greyed out). None of the
worksheets in the document are protected. When I copy an entire worksheet to
a new document, the text boxes do not copy over.

I've tried saving the document as several different types of Excel files
(options in Vista), but the problem still exists. I know this is probably
something really simple, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas? Anybody?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default EUREKA! I HAVE THE SOLUTION!

I talked to a friend of mine today, she did some searching on Google and
found the solution to my lack of text box functionality! It seems that you
have to save the file as an XML worksheet. In Office 2007, you have to choose
"Other Formats" and choose this option from among about 25 shown. Sure
enough, I saved it as an XML worksheet and immediately had functionality
again!

Perhaps the Microsoft Tech Support people should use Google as a resource
.... ;-)