Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cut is disabled

I have 2 PC's using Excel 2003 that have randomly lost the ability to cut
using the toolbar and the edit menu, the buttons are greyed out. They can
still cut using the ctrl+x function.This occurs on both old documents and new
documents. I have tried reinstalling, also completely removed it and
installed it to a seperate folder from the rest of office and it is still
occuring. Have not been able to find anything different on those 2 PC's as
opposed to the rest of them within our company. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When the file open click the disable macro option and see if the same thing
happens.

Check in the Window Menu under Unhide. There may be a personal.xls file
that disables the menu. Also check for macro that may be in the file.

"BSchmeltz" wrote:

I have 2 PC's using Excel 2003 that have randomly lost the ability to cut
using the toolbar and the edit menu, the buttons are greyed out. They can
still cut using the ctrl+x function.This occurs on both old documents and new
documents. I have tried reinstalling, also completely removed it and
installed it to a seperate folder from the rest of office and it is still
occuring. Have not been able to find anything different on those 2 PC's as
opposed to the rest of them within our company. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is occuring on every spreadsheet on the users computer, not just a
certain one. There are no macro's running and under Window there is no extra
spreadsheets listed. Is it possible there is a registry setting that could
have changed forcing this to be disabled?

"BSchmeltz" wrote:

I have 2 PC's using Excel 2003 that have randomly lost the ability to cut
using the toolbar and the edit menu, the buttons are greyed out. They can
still cut using the ctrl+x function.This occurs on both old documents and new
documents. I have tried reinstalling, also completely removed it and
installed it to a seperate folder from the rest of office and it is still
occuring. Have not been able to find anything different on those 2 PC's as
opposed to the rest of them within our company. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

TI don't know about registry. I only know about the Unhide under the Window
directtory.

There are files in the program files directtory that office uses as parrt of
start up. they are either office10 or office11 depending on the version of
office you are using. Sometimes when you install a new version of office the
older verion office 10 is not removed. Specifically for excel there is a
XLSTART directory which contains startup files. The personal.xls is
installed in the XLSTART directory. I would look in Office 10(or 11) and
XLSTART for clues concering your problem.

"BSchmeltz" wrote:

I have 2 PC's using Excel 2003 that have randomly lost the ability to cut
using the toolbar and the edit menu, the buttons are greyed out. They can
still cut using the ctrl+x function.This occurs on both old documents and new
documents. I have tried reinstalling, also completely removed it and
installed it to a seperate folder from the rest of office and it is still
occuring. Have not been able to find anything different on those 2 PC's as
opposed to the rest of them within our company. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure if you checked enough to determine that no macros are running.

I'd try this:

Close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
click ok

This opens excel in safe mode--no macros will be allowed to run.

Now use file|open to open your file.

Do you still have the same problem.

========
There are other things that could be causing the trouble with the greyed out
options (Cut/Copy under Edit). It could be a misbehaving macro that forgets to
reset those options when you switch workbooks/worksheets.

If they are always disabled (not intermittent), then you could reset that
toolbar.

Tools|Customize|Toolbars tab
select Worksheet Menu Bar
and click Reset

But that may be a temporary fix--that same misbehaving macro could "forget" to
reset these items later on.

If you find that it is a misbehaving macro, you may want to read these to help
find that workbook/addin:

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

--

Dave Peterson