Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Cut is disabled

I'm not sure if you checked enough to determine that no macros are running.

I'd try this:

Close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
click ok

This opens excel in safe mode--no macros will be allowed to run.

Now use file|open to open your file.

Do you still have the same problem.

========
There are other things that could be causing the trouble with the greyed out
options (Cut/Copy under Edit). It could be a misbehaving macro that forgets to
reset those options when you switch workbooks/worksheets.

If they are always disabled (not intermittent), then you could reset that
toolbar.

Tools|Customize|Toolbars tab
select Worksheet Menu Bar
and click Reset

But that may be a temporary fix--that same misbehaving macro could "forget" to
reset these items later on.

If you find that it is a misbehaving macro, you may want to read these to help
find that workbook/addin:

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

BSchmeltz wrote:

This is occuring on every spreadsheet on the users computer, not just a
certain one. There are no macro's running and under Window there is no extra
spreadsheets listed. Is it possible there is a registry setting that could
have changed forcing this to be disabled?

"Joel" wrote:

When the file open click the disable macro option and see if the same thing
happens.

Check in the Window Menu under Unhide. There may be a personal.xls file
that disables the menu. Also check for macro that may be in the file.

"BSchmeltz" wrote:

I have 2 PC's using Excel 2003 that have randomly lost the ability to cut
using the toolbar and the edit menu, the buttons are greyed out. They can
still cut using the ctrl+x function.This occurs on both old documents and new
documents. I have tried reinstalling, also completely removed it and
installed it to a seperate folder from the rest of office and it is still
occuring. Have not been able to find anything different on those 2 PC's as
opposed to the rest of them within our company. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson