Default Newbie Question: Data/Sort

I used Excel to organize a table of data (<50 entries). Column A uses
decimal numbering 1, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3, etc. The data was entered out of
order. Using Data/Sort, I've tried to put the list into the correct
order, but the list is wack out of order.

First I select the entire block of data. Then I choose Data/Sort:
Column A, w/o header. First it didnt work
2.0, 3.0, 2.1, 2.2, 1,...

I changed the cells from text to number. Then sort worked.
1, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 3,...

I changed the name of one of the columns in the header, now sort doesnt
work anymore.
1.0, 3.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.0,...

Wot? It's like the list is sorting on hidden values in Column A.

nb