Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
86 86 is offline

Default Day/Date formula

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to ensure it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Under format cells, number, custom format, enter:
ddd, d mmmm yyyy
to display April 1st:
Sun, 1 April 2007

ddd, dd mmmm yyyy
for this:
Sun, 01 April 2007

I don't know of any way to display ordinal numbers within a date:
Sun, 1st April 2007
as you have in your sample.

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to ensure it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
86 86 is offline

Awesome - thanks!

What about if I need to enter more than one date in the same cell?
eg '4-6/5/7' returns 'Fri, 4 - Sun, 6 May 2007'
or '4/5/7 - 6/5/7' returns 'Fri, 4 May 2007 - Sun, 6 May 2007'

I tried 'ddd, d mmmm yyyy - ddd, d mmmm yyyy' but that didn't work!

If the above is possible, can I instruct the software to distnguish between
single dates & doubles in the same column?

What I'm doing is making up a calander for a scout group, dates in the A
column.
Some activities go for one day, some others go for a weekend, week, etc.

In the past I've entered dates manually but when rushed I easily make
mistakes.
Having this date column automated would hopefully eleviate these mistakes!

Thanks

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to ensure it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
86 86 is offline

Oh well, I can do without the th's, nd's st's, etc!
Thanks heaps for replying.
Any ideas on my 2nd post?

Cheers

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to ensure it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

For your 2nd post and with the start date in F1 and the end date in F2, try
somthing like:

=CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(F1),"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu", "Fri","Sat")&",
"&DAY(F1)&" -
"&CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(F1),"Sun","Mon","Tue","Wed","Thu" ,"Fri","Sat") &",
"&DAY(F2)&" "&
TEXT(CHOOSE(MONTH(F2),"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May ","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"),"???" )&"
"&YEAR(F2)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date
numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to ensure it
gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

If 2 cells are going to be used to hold the dates, then
=IF(F2="",TEXT(F1,"ddd, dd mmm yy"),TEXT(F1,"ddd, dd")
&" to "&TEXT(F2,"ddd, dd mmm yy"))

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date
numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to
ensure it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Roger Govier" wrote in message
... Hi

If 2 cells are going to be used to hold the dates, then
=IF(F2="",TEXT(F1,"ddd, dd mmm yy"),TEXT(F1,"ddd, dd")
&" to "&TEXT(F2,"ddd, dd mmm yy"))

Very good Roger. I assume that the =IF(F2="", is a typo for =IF(F2<"", ?

--

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date
numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to ensure
it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No Sandy,

If there is no date entered in F2, then just use F1 as Fri, 30 Mar 07.
If there is a date in F2, then use the concatenation of a shortened form
of F1 with " to " and the longer form of F2 date.
as in Fri, 30 Mar to Tue, 03 Apr 07.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date
numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to
ensure it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
Roger Govier" wrote in message
... Hi

If 2 cells are going to be used to hold the dates, then
=IF(F2="",TEXT(F1,"ddd, dd mmm yy"),TEXT(F1,"ddd, dd")
&" to "&TEXT(F2,"ddd, dd mmm yy"))

Very good Roger. I assume that the =IF(F2="", is a typo for =IF(F2<"", ?

No of course you didn't! I don't know what I was thinking of, my apologies

--

"86" wrote:

Is it possible to have a function where if you enter the date
numerically, eg
'30/3/7'
it returns the DAY & date, eg 'Fri, 30th March 2007' ?

This would obviously work off the computer calander so as to ensure
it gets
the day of the week correct.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Sandy

Absolutely no need for any apology.
I misread things all the time!!! I put it down to my age - those senior
moments have an increasing frequency<bg
Best wishes.

--
Regards