Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Lost Password ??? Help Plz

Guess I'm getting old is hell. I created a
spreadsheet
and of course password protected it. Didn't get
back to
finishing it for a couple of weeks and now can't
remember the password I used. I guess I could
start over, but I'm old and lazy. Anyway I can
find
it out via the Administrator sign in or ????
Maybe
I should get that parental software that records
key-
strokes then I could there and check what I did.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Assuming you mean password to open the workbook, you can get some pointers here.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:21:47 -0500, "Bubey" wrote:

Guess I'm getting old is hell. I created a
spreadsheet
and of course password protected it. Didn't get
back to
finishing it for a couple of weeks and now can't
remember the password I used. I guess I could
start over, but I'm old and lazy. Anyway I can
find
it out via the Administrator sign in or ????
Maybe
I should get that parental software that records
key-
strokes then I could there and check what I did.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Gord, have you ever tried this program. I did the
download, enabled
the Macro's but nothing worked. There were no
instructions on how
to use it. If I clicked on the file I need to
open I had no access to
the Tools menu. If I clicked on the Tools menus /
Unprotect Workbook or
Unprotect Sheet it gave me the answer that it's
unprotected but not
which file. Then I clicked on the file I need to
open "again" and
nothing happened.

This site lead to a purchase program which is $45,
too much for
me. If I have to I can re-construct the
spreadsheet but I'm just
being lazy and was hoping there was some free
software out
there that would work.
Thanks ! Bubey

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote in
message

wrote:

Guess I'm getting old is hell. I created a
spreadsheet
and of course password protected it. Didn't get
back to
finishing it for a couple of weeks and now can't
remember the password I used. I guess I could
start over, but I'm old and lazy. Anyway I can
find
it out via the Administrator sign in or ????
Maybe
I should get that parental software that records
key-
strokes then I could there and check what I did.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Tried which program?

What program did you download?

The site I sent you to deals with "Password to open or modify the file"
passwords not with internal sheet or workbook protection passwords.

You will not find a FREE password cracker for your purpose as far as I know.

There are free ones for internal password cracking(sheet and workbook protection
passwords)

Re-construction would seem to be the only free method.

Sorry I can't give any more help than this.

Gord

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 20:24:33 -0500, "Bubey" wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

Guess I'm getting old is hell. I created a
spreadsheet
and of course password protected it. Didn't get
back to
finishing it for a couple of weeks and now can't
remember the password I used. I guess I could
start over, but I'm old and lazy. Anyway I can
find
it out via the Administrator sign in or ????
Maybe
I should get that parental software that records
key-
strokes then I could there and check what I did.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I assumed the "free to try" were for opening the
file, if a file is
considered "name.xls" or is that considered a
workbook ?
I guess I'll just re-create it. Guess it's time
to store these
passwords somewhere. Hate these Sr moments.
Thanks

/

wrote:

Guess I'm getting old is hell. I created a
spreadsheet
and of course password protected it. Didn't get
back to
finishing it for a couple of weeks and now can't
remember the password I used. I guess I could
start over, but I'm old and lazy. Anyway I can
find
it out via the Administrator sign in or ????
Maybe
I should get that parental software that records
key-
strokes then I could there and check what I did.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bubey

"name.xls" is a file which in Excel is also known as a "workbook" containing one
or more "worksheets"

Here is a run-down on Excel protection methods..............

1. Password to open the file(workbook). Can be set at FileSave
AsToolsGeneral Options.

2. Password on a protected worksheet. This is set at ToolsProtectionProtect
Sheet.

Many functions can be disabled using this type of protection.

3. Workbook Protection password. This is set at ToolsProtectionProtect
Workbook.

This protects the workbook from having sheets deleted and other functions
disabled.

4. VBA Project password to prevent viewers from looking at code modules.

Gord

wrote:

[...]

. ..