Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to split colums

I need to split information that I copied and pasted from word to excel..
example:
(3/1/05 Westover, Ma) is in the same colum but I want to separate the date
from the rest of the info... Does this make sense?

Anyone out there that can help me?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

you can not split a column but you can use text to colums under the data menu
to do what you want
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Ofice 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"emgenx" wrote:

I need to split information that I copied and pasted from word to excel..
example:
(3/1/05 Westover, Ma) is in the same colum but I want to separate the date
from the rest of the info... Does this make sense?

Anyone out there that can help me?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

John Thanks! I searched the thread and found the same question answered..
You are correct the data menu will help... It's just that I have a larg
amount of data that is not already separated with the ":"... So I entered it
and then went to the data menu and did it that way... It worked but what if I
have several hundred rows... would I have to insert the ":" everytime? Maybe
I'm missing somethin!

"emgenx" wrote:

I need to split information that I copied and pasted from word to excel..
example:
(3/1/05 Westover, Ma) is in the same colum but I want to separate the date
from the rest of the info... Does this make sense?

Anyone out there that can help me?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

How about this method?

If all you want is the date pulled out, copy the column and DataText to
ColumnsDelimited by "space"Next

You will see your data in three columns in the Wizard..

Select column 2 and "Skip"

Select column 3 and "Skip"

Finish.

Your dates are in a column by themselves.

You can do the same to break out the other data also.

Just takes a few steps through the Wizard.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP