Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Auto assigning

I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

The departments have a req. number assigned to that dept for tracking
and I have sorted the sheet to keep the depts. together. The date
arrangement doesn't matter because it's for the month.

Shaw - 001
Shaw - 002
Maint - 001
Maint - 002 and so on.

When I type the "Maint" in the department, I want to auto generate the
next number like Maint - 003 for whatever department, I can sort the
data myself onless someone can tell me how to do both automatically. If
this can't be done maybe if I had something to work with I might be able
to figure it out.

--
jackel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

in the column to the right of where type your text (assume A1)
=If(A1="Date",1,If(A1="Req. Number",2,if(A1="Requestor",3,If(....)))
limited to 7 nested statements. You need 1 ) for each If statement. You can
include a "" after the last If(A1="Status",7,""), this leaves the current
cell empty until an entry into A1. Copy and paste the formula downfor
additional cells.
Lou

"jackel" wrote:

I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

The departments have a req. number assigned to that dept for tracking
and I have sorted the sheet to keep the depts. together. The date
arrangement doesn't matter because it's for the month.

Shaw - 001
Shaw - 002
Maint - 001
Maint - 002 and so on.

When I type the "Maint" in the department, I want to auto generate the
next number like Maint - 003 for whatever department, I can sort the
data myself onless someone can tell me how to do both automatically. If
this can't be done maybe if I had something to work with I might be able
to figure it out.

--
jackel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

jackel Wrote:
I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

The departments have a req. number assigned to that dept for tracking
and I have sorted the sheet to keep the depts. together. The date
arrangement doesn't matter because it's for the month.

Shaw - 001
Shaw - 002
Maint - 001
Maint - 002 and so on.

When I type the "Maint" in the department, I want to auto generate the
next number like Maint - 003 for whatever department, I can sort the
data myself onless someone can tell me how to do both automatically. If
this can't be done maybe if I had something to work with I might be able
to figure it out.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try and see how it works. If for
some reason I can't get it right, look for my comments later to see
what can be done. Have a great day!

--
jackel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I misread your request this won't do it. perhaps a helper column adjacent to
each column heading. Some other perple are much more proficient than I and
can better help you out.
Lou

"jackel" wrote:

jackel Wrote:
I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jackel; I am not sure what you are trying to do. I'm guessing others are as
cofused as I. Post an example of what you have with a better description of
what you want please.
Lou

"jackel" wrote:

jackel Wrote:
I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Rookie 1st class Wrote:
Jackel; I am not sure what you are trying to do. I'm guessing others are
as
cofused as I. Post an example of what you have with a better
description of
what you want please.
Lou

"jackel" wrote:
-

jackel Wrote: -
I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

[...]

Date Req. Number Requestor
"Dept." Notes IOU,Yes/No
Status
1 Jan 07 Maint - 001 John
Maint. Whatever No
Open
3 Jan 07 CTS - 001 Rick
CTS Went to lunch Yes
Closed
3 Jan 07 Shaw - 001 Steve Shaw
nap time No
Closed
4 Jan 07 CTS - 002 Rick
CTS Same No
Open

You can see that the Req numbers are not together and I can put them in
order with the data sort function. What I want to do is enter the "Dept
name" and it auto generate the current date and generate the next Req.
Number in sequence.
Seeing what we currently have; if I enter the name "Maint" under the
"Dept." the date will be the date of new entry and the next Req. Number
will be Maint - 002. I can enter the requestor name, notes, IOU, and
status as the job is completed.
I hope this a little better explanation of what I am trying to do, if I
am asking for miracles let me know and I'll keep going. For some reason
this post crams everything together so I hope you can make out my
columns.

Thanks

--
jackel