Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rookie 1st class Rookie 1st class is offline

Default Auto assigning

in the column to the right of where type your text (assume A1)
=If(A1="Date",1,If(A1="Req. Number",2,if(A1="Requestor",3,If(....)))
limited to 7 nested statements. You need 1 ) for each If statement. You can
include a "" after the last If(A1="Status",7,""), this leaves the current
cell empty until an entry into A1. Copy and paste the formula downfor
additional cells.
Lou

"jackel" wrote:

I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

The departments have a req. number assigned to that dept for tracking
and I have sorted the sheet to keep the depts. together. The date
arrangement doesn't matter because it's for the month.

Shaw - 001
Shaw - 002
Maint - 001
Maint - 002 and so on.

When I type the "Maint" in the department, I want to auto generate the
next number like Maint - 003 for whatever department, I can sort the
data myself onless someone can tell me how to do both automatically. If
this can't be done maybe if I had something to work with I might be able
to figure it out.

--
jackel