Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
jackel jackel is offline

Default Auto assigning

jackel Wrote:
I have 7 columns, they are

Date - Req. Number - Requestor - Dept. - Notes - IOU,Yes/No - Status

The departments have a req. number assigned to that dept for tracking
and I have sorted the sheet to keep the depts. together. The date
arrangement doesn't matter because it's for the month.

Shaw - 001
Shaw - 002
Maint - 001
Maint - 002 and so on.

When I type the "Maint" in the department, I want to auto generate the
next number like Maint - 003 for whatever department, I can sort the
data myself onless someone can tell me how to do both automatically. If
this can't be done maybe if I had something to work with I might be able
to figure it out.

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a try and see how it works. If for
some reason I can't get it right, look for my comments later to see
what can be done. Have a great day!

--
jackel