Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Field settings

Very simple but my searches can't find answers
when I move my data to the main "drop row items here" the data defaults to
The count of (whatever the data is). I want it to sum the data as a default
and I dont want "the sum of" text showing.
I know I can amend and delete individually but isn't there a more simple
way of achieving this?
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bill

PT's default to Sum when the Data is Numeric and default to Count if
there are any text items within the Data field dragged to the Data area.

The "Sum of" does get added automatically I'm afraid, as you cannot have
the same Field name as in the source data.
Debra Dalgleish has a great Add in at her site which will allow you to
change some of the features of the PT
http://www.contextures.com/xlPivotAddIn02.html

Also, in your later question, answered by Debra, although you have to
select all the columns for your source data as it has to have contiguous
columns, you need don't have to use all of them within the PT.
If you have any blank columns between the columns you wish to use, label
them with Blank1, Blank2 etc. as all columns must have a header row, but
set Font to be White (or same as background colour) so it doesn't show
up on your source table.
--
Regards

Roger Govier