Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default copy a specified name range

I have an estimating program file with 30+ worksheets in which I need to be
able to specify a specific range name from four available, then paste the
data from a 5 column by 6 row range relating to that named range to a
different worksheet to calculate overheads, field supervision, AFDC and
profit using the specified range name (the four range names have different
values). I think an 'IF' statement would work but I do not know how to tell
it to choose the range and then paste it to the specific area on the 1st
worksheet and be able to overwrite that data if another range name is used.
I originally created this program in Lotus 1-2-3 using a macro.
--
Lori
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Perhaps something like this ..

In the target sheet,

Assuming B2 will house the input of the range name,

Put in say, the formula bar for B4:
=IF($B$2="","",OFFSET(INDIRECT($B$2),ROW(A1)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

Array-enter the formula in B4 by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER,
instead of just pressing ENTER

Copy B4 across to F4, fill down to F9
to populate the range size (5C x 6R)

B4:F9 will return the required results* depending on the input in B2
*the contents of the named range

For a neater look, suppress display of extraneous zeros in the sheet
via clicking Tools Options View tab Uncheck "Zero values" OK
--
Max
Singapore
"Lori" wrote:
I have an estimating program file with 30+ worksheets in which I need to be
able to specify a specific range name from four available, then paste the
data from a 5 column by 6 row range relating to that named range to a
different worksheet to calculate overheads, field supervision, AFDC and
profit using the specified range name (the four range names have different
values). I think an 'IF' statement would work but I do not know how to tell
it to choose the range and then paste it to the specific area on the 1st
worksheet and be able to overwrite that data if another range name is used.
I originally created this program in Lotus 1-2-3 using a macro.
--
Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Tried your answer and got a partial response. Here is the data that should
appear:

55.0% 55.0% 55.0%
30.0% N/A 30.0%
8.0% N/A N/A
N/A
N/A

The data that prints out is 55% in all cells. What could I be doing wrong?

--
Lori

"Lori" wrote:
I have an estimating program file with 30+ worksheets in which I need to be
able to specify a specific range name from four available, then paste the
data from a 5 column by 6 row range relating to that named range to a
different worksheet to calculate overheads, field supervision, AFDC and
profit using the specified range name (the four range names have different
values). I think an 'IF' statement would work but I do not know how to tell
it to choose the range and then paste it to the specific area on the 1st
worksheet and be able to overwrite that data if another range name is used.
I originally created this program in Lotus 1-2-3 using a macro.
--
Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

The data that prints out is 55% in all cells...

Is the calc mode accidentally set to Manual?
Check Tools Options Calculation tab

Pl post the actual formula you are using over there
--
"Lori" wrote in message
Tried your answer and got a partial response. Here is the data that
should
appear:

55.0% 55.0% 55.0%
30.0% N/A 30.0%
8.0% N/A N/A
N/A
N/A

The data that prints out is 55% in all cells. What could I be doing wrong?

--
Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The calc mode is set to automatic.
formula: (cell C16 is where BPOH choice is entered)
=IF($C$16="BPOH",BPOH,OFFSET(INDIRECT($C$16),ROW(A 1)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

--
Lori

"Lori" wrote in message
Tried your answer and got a partial response. Here is the data that
should
appear:

55.0% 55.0% 55.0%
30.0% N/A 30.0%
8.0% N/A N/A
N/A
N/A

The data that prints out is 55% in all cells. What could I be doing wrong?

--
Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

=IF($C$16="BPOH",BPOH,OFFSET(INDIRECT($C$16),ROW(A 1)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

The above wasn't consistent with what was suggested earlier

=IF($C$16="BPOH",BPOH, ...

should read as:

=IF($C$16="","", ...

Try this working sample file which illustrates the earlier suggestion:
http://www.savefile.com/files/387065
Display specified name range.xls

--
Lori wrote:
The calc mode is set to automatic.
formula: (cell C16 is where BPOH choice is entered)
=IF($C$16="BPOH",BPOH,OFFSET(INDIRECT($C$16),ROW(A 1)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

--
Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you, it finally worked this time by rewriting it to match yours and
replacing my source cell of C16. The first few times I tried it exactly as
you had it written, all I got was blank cells, so I rewrote it trying to get
it to work. The drop down box for the range name selection is really neat.
Is it easy to create?
--
Lori

Lori wrote:
The calc mode is set to automatic.
formula: (cell C16 is where BPOH choice is entered)
=IF($C$16="BPOH",BPOH,OFFSET(INDIRECT($C$16),ROW(A 1)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

--
Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Glad you got it up there, Lori !

.. The drop down box for the range name selection is really neat.
Is it easy to create?

Yes, it is, using data validation.

In the sample's instance,
I just select the cell for the droplist ie B2,
then click Data Validation
Under Allow: choose "List"
Then input the 4 range names within "Source:", viz:
MyRange1,MyRange2,MyRange3,MyRange4
Click OK, and we're done

For more info, try Debra Dalgleish's marvellous coverage
on the steps for data validation (DV) at her:
Lori wrote:
Thank you, it finally worked this time by rewriting it to match yours and
replacing my source cell of C16. The first few times I tried it exactly as
you had it written, all I got was blank cells, so I rewrote it trying to get
it to work. The drop down box for the range name selection is really neat.
Is it easy to create?
--
Lori

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank you for the advice on the drop down list, it works great and I am using
it in my estimate program file a number of times. Thanks again for your help.
--
Lori

Glad you got it up there, Lori !