Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How can I save a file to a floppy disc?

I am trying to save a file to a floppy disc. Can't find a way. Help!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You can through VBA save directly to a floppy but...................

You should not save directly to a floppy.

You will eventually wind up with a corrupted file.

Save to Hard Drive first then copy to the floppy.

Same goes for opening files from any removable media.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:26:01 -0800, genelean
wrote:

I am trying to save a file to a floppy disc. Can't find a way. Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Saving files directly to removable media can cause trouble.

You'd be better served to save to your harddrive/lan drive and then use windows
explorer to copy to that floppy.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Does this advice apply to a 'thumb drive' when one observes the protocol of
using the Safely Remove Hardware tool each time? So far the gods have been
good to me on that score!
Happy New Year
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

wrote:

I am trying to save a file to a floppy disc. Can't find a way. Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bernard

I think if the drive is large enough to hold all the extra tmps that Excel
builds you probably won't run into any problems.

With the USB thumb sizes they have now the "never do it" advice may be overkill.

Gord

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 18:34:49 -0400, "Bernard Liengme"
wrote:

Does this advice apply to a 'thumb drive' when one observes the protocol of
using the Safely Remove Hardware tool each time? So far the gods have been
good to me on that score!
Happy New Year

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Even with lots of space on my thumbdrives, I try not to work on files that are
stored on them. It may be overkill, but by working on copies on the harddrive
and copying to (and from) the thumbdrive, I have a backup built into my
procedure.

And even if I use the "safely remove hardware" tool each time, I could eject
that drive while the file was still being edited.

There have been a few discussions about this in these here newsgroups. Some
people have stated that they work off them all the time and have never had a
problem.

I keep thinking "yet"!

=====
And I have a USB 160GB harddrive that I treat the same way--so it's probably a
preference more than a rule--but it can't hurt <vbg.

wrote:

I am trying to save a file to a floppy disc. Can't find a way. Help!!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

My sentiments also, just stated more articulately.

Happy New Year Dave

wrote:

I am trying to save a file to a floppy disc. Can't find a way. Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR CLR is offline

File SaveAs ...and navigate to Drive A...........and fill in the FileName
window.....then the SAVE button

As for the personal opinions of doing this or not, you've heard some of
those already, but I'm of the school that if I need to do it, I do
it........like crossing the street.....I could get hit by a car, but so far
so good so I keep doing it........I work from a jump drive(s) constantly and
have never had a problem......if I had to keep copying back and forth between
my hard drive and jump drive(s) I could never keep things straight........I
suppose the bottom line is, "of course there's a degree of risk, just decide
how much you wish to take"..........like saving to your hard drive and
hopeing the computer don't crash during the process, "usually " it doesn't,
but it "could".....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3