Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default colomns got swoeched

Hello. I think a certain colome of cells got swieched some how. with out
movingthem by hand how can I re swotch them? thanks. example
13b is where 12b is supposed to be. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Unless you have named your columns, there are no such columns(or rows) as 12b
and 13b

Do you mean cells B12 and B13?

What makes you think they may be switched?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:47:57 -0700, "marrie" wrote:

Hello. I think a certain colome of cells got swieched some how. with out
movingthem by hand how can I re swotch them? thanks. example
13b is where 12b is supposed to be. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Well there is suposed ot be a user name in colomn 13b and it moved up to 12b
and the one in 12b switched places. this happened thorugh out this table.
I'd shou you all but there is some personal info in this spread sheet as
well so can't show you all just now. Any suggestions.
Unless you have named your columns, there are no such columns(or rows) as
12b
and 13b

Do you mean cells B12 and B13?

What makes you think they may be switched?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:47:57 -0700, "marrie" wrote:

Hello. I think a certain colome of cells got swieched some how. with out
movingthem by hand how can I re swotch them? thanks. example
13b is where 12b is supposed to be. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

To emphasize what Gord Dibben said: normal way to refer to cells on a sheet
is to use the column letter first, then row number as B12 and B13. Not just
being picky, but it helps assure people of what you are talking about.

Now, back to your problem.

First make a backup copy of the file, simply open it and use File | Save As
and give it a new name. That's in case the changes I'm about to detail mess
it up. And they could if the table contains formulas and things.

Click on the 14 at the left edge of the sheet, choose Insert | Row. That
will give you an empty row right below row 13.

Click the 12 at the left edge of the sheet, highlighting the entire row.
Move your cursor to the right into A12 and down a little until the cursor
becomes a 4-direction arrow symbol. Left-Click and hold and drag that down
into the new row you just inserted. Release the mouse button.

from the menu choose Edit | Delete to remove the empty row.

If your table didn't suddenly fill up with error indications like #REF,
you're probably good to go.

"marrie" wrote:

Well there is suposed ot be a user name in colomn 13b and it moved up to 12b
and the one in 12b switched places. this happened thorugh out this table.
I'd shou you all but there is some personal info in this spread sheet as
well so can't show you all just now. Any suggestions.
Unless you have named your columns, there are no such columns(or rows) as
12b
and 13b

Do you mean cells B12 and B13?

What makes you think they may be switched?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:47:57 -0700, "marrie" wrote:

Hello. I think a certain colome of cells got swieched some how. with out
movingthem by hand how can I re swotch them? thanks. example
13b is where 12b is supposed to be. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

!! Don't forget that when you "save as..."
The current workbook changes to that one.
So next time you *save* it overwrites the one you just *Saved as..*

For me, best after *Save as..* is to now re-open the original, if all goes
fine - keep going

If not, revert to the *Saved as..* file

Steve

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:37:01 +0100, JLatham
wrote:

[...]

Then

"marrie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It is possible you sorted the data and this is why it happened "throughout this
table".

If you haven't saved the workbook yet you may be able to hit the undo button to
get your data back in order.

Do you have a backup file anywhere that would be useful?

Gord

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:47:32 -0700, "marrie" wrote:

Well there is suposed ot be a user name in colomn 13b and it moved up to 12b
and the one in 12b switched places. this happened thorugh out this table.
I'd shou you all but there is some personal info in this spread sheet as
well so can't show you all just now. Any suggestions.
.. .
Unless you have named your columns, there are no such columns(or rows) as
12b
and 13b

Do you mean cells B12 and B13?

What makes you think they may be switched?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 13:47:57 -0700, "marrie" wrote:

Hello. I think a certain colome of cells got swieched some how. with out
movingthem by hand how can I re swotch them? thanks. example
13b is where 12b is supposed to be. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Good plan also. I think the end desire either way is to have an untouched
copy, and experiment with one, keeping untouched copy in reserve in case of
disaster.

I was also thinking of what Gord Dibbon mentions in follow-up posting -
somehow the table got sorted - in which case, things will probably be OK
either way unless something else was depending on data in the table and the
move/delete messes that up.

"marrie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'll leave gord to keep up with the solution to your problem

Regarding the *Save As..*
I never ever use it, well not since I screwed up once.

Current file "Fred", Save as... *Fred problem*
You keep working, solve the problem - Save and Exit

Later you get rid of *Fred problem* as you think it was the one you had
problems with.

You open *Fred* and hey presto the original problem file is back !

I use Explorer to make a copy of the original file
and then carry on working with the original file name.

Steve

wrote:

Hello. I think a certain colome of cells got swieched some how.

with
out
movingthem by hand how can I re swotch them? thanks. example
13b is where 12b is supposed to be. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

actually I just slded it by going to deleate menu and choosing shift cells
up and it fixed it. I found someother shortcuts and if anybody wants them
I'll compile what I find by going to a new post later. thanks for all your
help guys.