Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Don't merge cells?

Hi Epinn

Mark the range of cells A1:C1, then
FormatCellsAlignmentSelect the Horizontal dropdownCenter across
selection
There is nothing to stop you from starting to type in A1.
If the data is truncated, then you need to widen the columns.
You do not get gridlines in between.

If you do not have any data in B1 or C1, then just typing the whole of
the text in A1, will give the appearance of a single cell without
gridlines

Choosing Merge, also truncates the data, unless you widen the column(s)

Incidentally, I noted from earlier postings Epinn is an acronym of
(Electronic (pin) (n)umber but you do not say whether you are male or
female?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Epinn" wrote in message
Thanks for your response, Roger. I am aware of this feature but I can't
get it to produce the same effect as merging cells will. Am I missing
something?

Let's say I have Jan Feb Mar ........ starting from A2 and going across.
Above the months and in row 1, I want to include a heading say "Monthly
forecast for the year of 2007."

With merge cell feature, I can start typing "Monthly ......" in A1, and
when I am finished keying, I can select my range and press the "merge
and centre" button. It will be centered in one big cell.

With the format feature, I can't start typing in A1. If I do, then part
of the heading will be truncated after I do format etc. and it won't
centre although I tick the box. If I start typing in C1, I can see the
entire heading but it won't centre either. Besides, the gridlines are
there.

I have used format|alignment etc. for a single cell and it is fine. If
I use it for multiple cells I usually click the "merge cells" box and it
is fine too. But since we are on the subject of NOT merging, so I don't
click the box and things just don't look right.

Wonder what's going on here.

Epinn

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi Epinn

Mark a range of cells
FormatCellsAlignmentCentre across Selection

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Epinn" wrote in message
Bob,

Then, how do I spread a column heading across a few columns? Just don't
make it one big cell?

Epinn

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Epinn,

Don't merge cells, it is more trouble than it is worth.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Yes are you odd or even ?
Steve

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:09:56 +0100, Roger Govier
wrote:

Hi Epinn

Mark the range of cells A1:C1, then
FormatCellsAlignmentSelect the Horizontal dropdownCenter across
selection
There is nothing to stop you from starting to type in A1.
If the data is truncated, then you need to widen the columns.
You do not get gridlines in between.

If you do not have any data in B1 or C1, then just typing the whole of
the text in A1, will give the appearance of a single cell without
gridlines

Choosing Merge, also truncates the data, unless you widen the column(s)

Incidentally, I noted from earlier postings Epinn is an acronym of
(Electronic (pin) (n)umber but you do not say whether you are male or
female?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Roger,

It's hard for me to explain without the screen. I heard you and I followed exactly what you said previously. Maybe if you try to actually do what I did, say keying into A1, you'll know what I mean?? Data didn't get truncated while typing but after formatting. If I start in A1 (i.e. following your previous instructions) the first part (monthly fore) of the title gets truncated *after* the format. It has nothing to do with column width. I'll digest your new post some more later. I key in before I format, right?

Thank you for filling in the blank. I have been wondering what the last "n" of Epinn should stand for. You just gave me the answer. Yes, "n" for number. That's very good and it makes sense. As I said, "e" stands for electronic. "Pinn" is actually the first part of a word (talking about truncation) which I use as my cyber last name. Confused? But, "electronic PIN number" is really good. So, I have "made a name" for myself on this board.

The other day, Bob asked me about my nationality, now you want to know my gender? My dear friendsss, someone who frequents the MS boards has been watching me closely for quite a while and finally he revealed himself to me. He may even be reading this post while you do. I should really keep a low profile and refrain from posting. I hope you do understand. If anyone secretly finds out anything about me, I urge you to keep it to yourself and don't advertise it on the board. If you have figured out the long form of Pinn, please don't say it. It's okay to repeat what I have told you via my posts though. I should do a better job not to reveal too much of myself. Identity theft is a big thing. Someone's house was sold as a result of title fraud, identity theft etc. and the genuine owner still couldn't get it back after seven months and thousands and thousands of $$$$.

Sorry for the distraction and I wish everyone safety on the 10th. of September.

Electronic Pin Number

"Epinn" wrote in message
Bob,

Then, how do I spread a column heading across a few columns? Just don't
make it one big cell?

Epinn

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Epinn,

Don't merge cells, it is more trouble than it is worth.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Say your month headers are in A2 to M2.

Since you want to start your main header in A1, 1 column left of your month
headers, ideally, you'd want to *also* extend 1 column to the right of your
last month, Column M.

So, select A1 to N1, *THEN*
<Format <Cells <Alignment <CenterAcrossSelection
And before finishing, format this header using the Font, Border, and Pattern
tabs if desired.
Now, <OK out, and enter the text of your header into A1.

This is what I do all the time, instead of merging!

RD

"Epinn" wrote in message
Bob,

Then, how do I spread a column heading across a few columns? Just don't
make it one big cell?

Epinn

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Epinn,

Don't merge cells, it is more trouble than it is worth.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Epinn

Identity theft is a big thing

Definitely not into identity, theft - just nice to know who one is
"talking to" - but it remains your choice of course.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Epinn" wrote in message
Bob,

Then, how do I spread a column heading across a few columns? Just don't
make it one big cell?

Epinn

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Epinn,

Don't merge cells, it is more trouble than it is worth.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

RD,

After some sleep and reading a fresh post, I finally got it. It is a great help that you put the commands/options in < . That forces me to see "Centre Across Selection." I was so used to "centre" and didn't know "centre across selection" exists. With the other post, "centre" was on one line and "across selection" was on another line on my screen, and so I took it as "centre" and missed out the second part. Sorry Roger, I didn't open my eyes wide enough. I realize that it doesn't really matter if I key in first or format first. I have a habit of entering data first and then formatting. I hope you don't see a problem with this sequence.

Say your month headers are in A2 to M2. Since you want to start your main header in A1, 1 column left of your month headers,

Not sure what you meant by "l column left of your month headers." Both the title and "Jan" start in column A (A1 and A2 respectively); so it is the same column.

Okay, I'll do what the experts do and from now on I'll use this method and forget about merging cells. Not sure about the problems with merging cells but I don't really want to know. I casually mentioned about merging cells when I talked about F9 and I wasn't even asking, but Bob gave me the headsup. This is what I call generosity. Thank you Bob for sharing. Much appreciated. Thank you Roger and RD for being patient with me.

Epinn