Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Don't merge cells?

Hi Epinn

Mark the range of cells A1:C1, then
FormatCellsAlignmentSelect the Horizontal dropdownCenter across
selection
There is nothing to stop you from starting to type in A1.
If the data is truncated, then you need to widen the columns.
You do not get gridlines in between.

If you do not have any data in B1 or C1, then just typing the whole of
the text in A1, will give the appearance of a single cell without
gridlines

Choosing Merge, also truncates the data, unless you widen the column(s)

Incidentally, I noted from earlier postings Epinn is an acronym of
(Electronic (pin) (n)umber but you do not say whether you are male or
female?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Epinn" wrote in message
Thanks for your response, Roger. I am aware of this feature but I can't
get it to produce the same effect as merging cells will. Am I missing
something?

Let's say I have Jan Feb Mar ........ starting from A2 and going across.
Above the months and in row 1, I want to include a heading say "Monthly
forecast for the year of 2007."

With merge cell feature, I can start typing "Monthly ......" in A1, and
when I am finished keying, I can select my range and press the "merge
and centre" button. It will be centered in one big cell.

With the format feature, I can't start typing in A1. If I do, then part
of the heading will be truncated after I do format etc. and it won't
centre although I tick the box. If I start typing in C1, I can see the
entire heading but it won't centre either. Besides, the gridlines are
there.

I have used format|alignment etc. for a single cell and it is fine. If
I use it for multiple cells I usually click the "merge cells" box and it
is fine too. But since we are on the subject of NOT merging, so I don't
click the box and things just don't look right.

Wonder what's going on here.

Epinn

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi Epinn

Mark a range of cells
FormatCellsAlignmentCentre across Selection

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Epinn" wrote in message
Bob,

Then, how do I spread a column heading across a few columns? Just don't
make it one big cell?

Epinn

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Epinn,

Don't merge cells, it is more trouble than it is worth.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips