Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How do I print the 1st column as a row header in each page?

This is a simple question that I could not format correctly in order to get
an answer from the Help file. Duh...would someone please point me to the
proper Help topic? Thank-you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Found it! File/Page Setup/Sheet/columns to repeat on left...Thanks!

"Lighthouse1" wrote:

This is a simple question that I could not format correctly in order to get
an answer from the Help file. Duh...would someone please point me to the
proper Help topic? Thank-you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Do you want to print the first ROW at the top of each page?
File | PageSetUp ; open Sheet tab and set Rows to Repeat on Top
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Lighthouse1" wrote in message
This is a simple question that I could not format correctly in order to
get
an answer from the Help file. Duh...would someone please point me to the
proper Help topic? Thank-you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

But that won't give you a row header on each page.

It will give you columns down the left side of printout.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Lighthouse1" wrote:

This is a simple question that I could not format correctly in order to get
an answer from the Help file. Duh...would someone please point me to the
proper Help topic? Thank-you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No wonder Help could give the answer

First rule - compose the right question.

anyway I think you've got the right menu options to give you control over
the page layout.

Steve

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 19:57:57 +0100, Bernard Liengme
wrote:

Do you want to print the first ROW at the top of each page?
File | PageSetUp ; open Sheet tab and set Rows to Repeat on Top
best wishes

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I am not the original poster. But I am totally lost reading this thread. I
hope you don't mind me not starting a new thread.

I read Help and I experimented by ticking the checkbox for "rows to repeat
at top" and "columns to repeat at left" respectively. Then I clicked print
preview. But I didn't see any difference between ticking and not ticking
the boxes.

However, I did see a difference by ticking the "Row and column headings"
check box.

When I read the question, first thing that came to my mind was "transpose."

Can someone explain, preferably with a print layout on screen, about
rows/columns to repeat checkboxes, since I didn't get far with Help and
print preview?

Thanks.

Epinn

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Do you want to print the first ROW at the top of each page?
File | PageSetUp ; open Sheet tab and set Rows to Repeat on Top
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Lighthouse1" wrote in message
This is a simple question that I could not format correctly in order to
get
an answer from the Help file. Duh...would someone please point me to

the
proper Help topic? Thank-you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Start a new worksheet
put
=cell("address",a1)
in A1
Drag down 100 rows
select a1:a100 and drag across 50 columns

Now try those settings.

You should see a difference.

Epinn wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Rows and columns to repeat" are the contents of the specified cells
"Row and Column Headings" are A B C and 1 2 3 etc

You need to set the ones to repeat in File, Page Setup - not possible in
the preview
A,B 1, 2 etc are useful to help *document* a sheet especially when
printing the formula

Steve

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:58:32 +0100, Epinn
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dave,

Thank you. I did have a feeling that my worksheet wasn't set up properly to
do the test although I had more than one page.

Shall I say this is similar to freezing panes but more flexible? For
example, if I pick column B, only column B will be repeated. But for
freezing panes, both column A **and** B will be displayed, it just can't
drop A and display B alone.

I have my query solved plus I get a bonus i.e. learning about "address" in
Cell().

So Steve, it is okay that Lighthouse1 didn't compose the question right the
first time. Sometimes things happen for a reason and I got to learn
something. Yes, I am aware that we can only do the page set up under file
and not under print review for this particular feature.

Epinn