Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default dropdown list to a page in worksheet

Hi,
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in worksheet1 which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Since you used the term "drop down list," I would like to highlight the
following links. However, the purpose is for data entry/validation. I am
not surprised if your approach may have to be something very different - a
formula/procedure plus hyperlink? I'll let the experts fill in the blank.

Please note that I had to use INDIRECT() in the case of referencing a
**different** workbook (as per the second link above).

Thank you for the question and I am sure I can learn something here.

Epinn

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in worksheet1 which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Epinn,

I looked through both links, but i couldn't figure out exactly what
exactly was i suppose to see in the pages. The first link got me through the
list, but the second link i did not understand at all how was connected to my
situation

thanks

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in worksheet1 which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jared,

Shall I say the second link is a continuation of the first link. If your
list of valid entries is in a **different workbook** and you follow the
instructions from link 1, you may get an error message "You may not use
references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation criteria."
I did and I had to do a get around by using the instructions in link 2. It
may not be obvious to you until you try it. As I said in my first post, I
had to use INDIRECT() which was the second method stated in link 2.
Depending on your arrangement, you may or may not need link 2 for the fix.
I included it just in case.

Please look at link 1 and link 2 as part I and part II. If link 1 doesn't
help you at all, you can ignore link 2. You can also forget about link 2,
if you use ONE worksheet and not two workbooks.

I included the links for your reference as you mentioned drop down list.
That's all.

Epinn

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in worksheet1

which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Epinn,
Okay, the first link got me through making the list i needed, but how do
i add a hyper link per name? so clicking the name will get me to a specific
cell. but each name needs to be to a different location. i might need to add
a event click in vba, but i don't know how to add this to a list.

thanks
Jared

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in worksheet1

which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jared

Do you have the ranges named in InsertName Define?

You could use event code with the DV list in B1

Option Compare Text
If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("B1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
On Error GoTo endit
Application.EnableEvents = False
Select Case Target.Value
Case "peter"
Application.Goto Reference:="peter"
Case "paul"
Application.Goto Reference:="paul"
Case "mary"
Application.Goto Reference:="mary"
End Select
endit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

If ranges are not named, just replace Application.Goto Reference:="peter" with

Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").Select

A lot of work if you have a great whack of names.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in worksheet1

which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dear Gord,
I do have the names defined.
but i do not want to put events under specific names. the list changes. I
will add names and edit others.
what are my options?

Jared

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Gord,

I found the following link on drop down list and hyperlink without using
VBA. Mind you it was Excel 2000. I am not sure about the suggestion and
Jared's need, and wonder what you think.

One line caught my eyes - "This formula creates immediately a clickable
hyperlink."

http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Formulas/19517.html

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in

worksheet1
which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks for the link. Aladin is pretty sharp.

Jared could probably use that method.

Hope he is still hanging around.

Gord

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:26:27 -0400, "Epinn" wrote:

Gord,

I found the following link on drop down list and hyperlink without using
VBA. Mind you it was Excel 2000. I am not sure about the suggestion and
Jared's need, and wonder what you think.

One line caught my eyes - "This formula creates immediately a clickable
hyperlink."

http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Formulas/19517.html

Epinn

.. .

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in

worksheet1
which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Gord,

I am glad that you approved it. What a relief! All I had in mind was
VLOOKUP and HYPERLINK but I wasn't sure about the clicking part. So I
didn't feel comfortable telling Jared and was waiting for someone to fill in
the blank. Then I found that link. Good thing it was Excel 2000 and not
Excel 2007. ;) Thank you, Aladin!

Epinn

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in

worksheet1
which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

It works great, i am not able to actually click on the list but i does give a
button to click on. I guess that this will do the trick. Next problem: the
font in the list is so small, can barely see it....

Jared

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in

worksheet1
which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I followed Aladin's suggestion and added IF() to check for a blank cell so
that #N/A! wouldn't be displayed. It works beautifully. It's amazing that
one formula does the job. My previous concern about clicking is not
necessary. As soon as an item on the drop-down list is clicked upon, a
hyperlink (in an adjacent cell) is created instantly, confirming Aladin's
statement. Then when I click on the link, I am taken to the appropriate
sheet.

All in all, it is easier than I have anticipated once the "click" concern is
out of the way.

Thank you for the question and I have learned something practical.

Epinn

"Jared" wrote in message
I have a list of names in worksheet1
I have a Page for each name in Worksheet2
I need to creat a dropdown list in worksheet2 of names in

worksheet1
which
will allow me to jump to his specific page.

how do i do this?

Thanks,
Jared

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Epinn,
Where exactly do you add the "if()", in the list cell or the adjecent
cell with the hyperlink?

Jared