Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default List for AutoFilter and list for Subtotals have different meanings?

I need to type up a list if I want to use

(1) DateFilterAutoFilter or
(2) DataSubtotals

A sample list:

Month Units
Jan 100
Jan 200
Feb 100
Feb 400
Mar 300
etc. etc.

I find the following interesting.

To do (1) AutoFilter, I have to actually **create** a list i.e.
DataListCreate List ......

If I want to do (2) Subtotals, I **don't** have to do DataListCreate List
....... If I do, Subtotals on the menu won't even be highlighted.

Although both (1) and (2) require a list, the definition of a list appears
different.

Have I missed anything? Welcome feedback and comments. Please don't ask me
to read help because I have done that. I have also watched the AutoFilter
demo and actually tried the commands. Thanks for reading and please correct
me if I am wrong. I want to analyze and experiment "sort" and "validation"
in the data menu at another time so that I don't get too confused right now.
But please feel free to voice any comments regarding these two commands in
terms of list.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Epinn wrote:
[...]

My auto filter works without having to create a list. Select the entire
sheet by clicking in the upper left hand corner of the sheet. Select auto
filter. It should place a drop down box at the top of each column. Now you
can select a value from the drop down and the sheet will be filtered for
that value.

gls858
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks gls858. This is getting more interesting.

AutoFilter works regardless of whether I actually do DataListCreate List,
or just highlight a range or select all.

DataSubtotals only seems to work the best when I highlight a range. It
**won't work** if I do DataListcreate list. It is not a good idea
(although it works) to select all (i.e. choosing the entire sheet) because
it will include blank cells, and it can be confusing if one forgets to
adjust the entries in the dialogue box.

Now, I have to find out when I **must** create a list (DataListCreate
List) before I can apply a command.

Comments welcome.

Epinn