Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Filter the results of a list based on a previous vlookup against the same list

Hey Guys,

Forgive the lengthy explanation but here goes:

I have a (long!) list of melee weapons and associated statistics,
essentially however the jeaders in the list look like this - and there
are about 22 stats.

A, B, C, D, E,
Name, type, Stat1, Stat2, Stat3,
1
2
3

So far I have 2 named ranges Name (A1 to A3 in the example above) and
Stats (E1 to E3 in the example above)

I then in a seperate cell (lets assume A5) have a list (Data,
Validation, List) that refers to the Name range.

I then have =VLOOKUP(A5,Stats,3,0) to return stat1 in B5 for example.

Thats all fine - but now it gets complicated.

I now want a second cell, selecting from the same list (Name) - but
filtered on the result of the previous lookup against the value
'type'.

To clarify the value type can be 'Mainhand' 'Offhand' 'Onehand' or
'Twohand', also A5 represents your 'mainhand'.

So in A5 I want someone to be able to select a mainhand, a twohand or a
Onehand item

In A6 I want the only valid selections to be nothing, an offhand or a
Onehand

In addiiton some items have a further stat of 'unique'. So You can
pick the same 'onehand' item for both slots - unless it has a stat of
unique in which case it can only be picked for one slot.

You can have two unique items as long as they are not the same
however!

So I guess with all of the above I am asking two things - filter the
results of a list based on criteria ina given cell, and how to filter a
list against further criteria against the results of a vlookup aginst
the same list previously!!

Many thanks in advance, as I am well and truely stumped

--
Mizpah
Mizpah's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37649

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry for the bump guys, but im kinda stumped Can anyone give me any
pointers ?

--
Mizpah
Mizpah's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37649
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=572599

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well I guess this one is a challange! Am I asking the impossible ??

If somebody knows this is impossible please post and say so - I can
stop trying then! Other than that is anyone up for the challange ?