Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default formula probles - so lost

i posted this in general forum but i think its better suited here - i
got a worksheet such as this:

SequenceId Musician Initial YOB YOD Instrument
1 Micheal A. 1975 1999 Chello
2 Tom I. 1960 1989 Piano
3 Hans J. 1982 2000 Piano
4 Hans J. 1982 2000 Keyboard
5 Hans J. 1982 2000 Orchestra

I want to be able to retrieve every information sequenceid,initial
yob,yod just by matching the name - i went through various match if,
vlookup etc formulas but nothings working - at best i got the last
matches but not all of the possibilities - for example i only get 5 j.
hans 1982 2000 orchestra but not all of hans is 3 possibilities

--
hsb101
hsb101's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37049

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR CLR is offline

Depending on what you're trying to do.........you might check out Data
Filter Autofilter then select the name from the drop-down arrow atop that
column......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"hsb101" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

i need a formula - i just want to search a name and recieve some of the
information from the row that matches the name, i need multiple info
back in some cases 0 thats the problem i can only get one row so far

im guessing using something with the if function but im pretty lost

--
hsb101
hsb101's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37049
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567933

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi I'm new but have quite a good knowledge of excel...

Have you thought about pivot tables?? I know you want a formula
but....

If you have the data split in to columns ie

SequenceId, Musician, Initial, YOB, YOD & Instrument

Then have the name in the page section and the admittedly it would be a
count in the data area but you could have the rest of the data shown in
the column area.

Unfortunately I'm at work ATM and can't host pics but if you need to I
can illustrate it better when I get home......

Sorry if I didn't explain too well but sometimes it easier to point at
stuff and have a play.

HTH (a little)

--
mr_ben